Should I be suspending cards after each block?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnonymousDoctorGuyPerson

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been keeping my Anking cards unsuspended after each block in the /hopes/ of a not P/F Step 1 for Jan 2022. With it looking more and more like that's an impossibility, is there any benefit in continuing? I don't find it to be too much of a timesink, but I don't want to continue something that yields no genuine benefit.

Members don't see this ad.

I keep cards from the Anking deck unsuspended since they only take me 20 minutes max a day. Cards from pre-made decks for in house exams I suspended after the test since theyre usually low yield or repeats of cards from Anking. Whether or not step 1 is p/f, keeping the cards active helps me remember the topics which I'm assuming will help out in the long run

Don't bother. Use your spare time to do research or relax

The review burden gets much higher as you go through M1 and M2

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I’ve decided to wait until dedicated to hit anking hard. Our in-house curriculum hits all the high yield topics and I feel like it’ll come back a little faster in dedicated as long as I keep up with our current curriculum. I used bnb anking tags for biochem block 1 and still feel pretty good about the material even now after suspending.

I'm waiting till later on to do that. Even less reason to do it now since I'm using inhouse Anki decks

I keep them unsuspended because I have a feeling I would just completely forget everything if I suspended them and then only went back to review old material during dedicated. I actually do find reviewing old cards to be a bit time-consuming and things would be a lot easier for me if I suspended them, but I'm not sure I want to risk forgetting everything. I only suspend the cards I make for the in-house exams after each block is over.

Is there a date where they will 100% confirm whether itll be P/F?

So I've been keeping my Anking cards unsuspended after each block in the /hopes/ of a not P/F Step 1 for Jan 2022. With it looking more and more like that's an impossibility, is there any benefit in continuing? I don't find it to be too much of a timesink, but I don't want to continue something that yields no genuine benefit.

I can't justify spending time to study for Step 1 like it's scored when my time can be used in other ways. I'm only keeping cards with the Step 2 tag unsuspended. There's only about ~3k cards overlapping the Step 1 and Step 2 tag, making up ~10% and ~20% of each (respectively). Low burden with high ROI.

Is there a date where they will 100% confirm whether itll be P/F?

It will be P/F on 1/2022 and 'if it changes, we'll let you know' - NBME

I tried to keep them unsuspended for a bit and gave up, but I'm an M1 and we don't take step until after 3rd year at my school

With proper learning intervals, you only see most cards once every 6months anyways, basically same as suspended except you get review the cards you don’t know.

To each their own. I love getting my review cards from prior systems. I am working through infectious disease right now and it's a killer, but honestly, I don't know how I would remember all the bugs and drugs a year and a half from now if I didn't incorporate them into my studies. I genuinely do base my entire studies around Anki and B&B and I have been well above all the averages on all tests/quizzes so whatever I am doing is working.