PharmEm

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2005
203
0
Status
Hi everyone,
I just found this forum a week ago and I'm very THANKFUL I did. Here's my situation:
I have a degree in business and worked for a year as an analyst. I realized that the corporate life wasn't for me, so I'm back in school (a university) taking the pre-req's for pharmacy school. During my FIRST undergrad years(the place I got my degree from), I took some science classes such as general chem and bio (b/c I was doing pre-med) but didn't do too great in them, B's And C's. I even took the 2nd general chem 2 times. But like I said, I'm taking the pre-req's for pharm school right now and I'm making a 4.0.
My question to you is, how do you think pharmacy schools will look at my record since I've gotten B's and C's the first time I took those science classes but I'm getting all A's in them now?
My other question is, should I be thinking about other schools. I'm currently interested in...

Univ. of Texas at Austin
Texas Tech
Univ. of Houston
Univ. of Wash
Univ. of Chicago
UCSF
USC
UCSD

Are these schools WAY out of my reach based on my situation that I stated above? I'm really starting to think I made a mistake going back to school b/c I feel that I won't get into pharmacy school (the ones I stated above) and I really would like to get in the Fall of '06. PLEASE give me any advice and opinions, thank you in advance!

P.S. Sorry, one more question: Is it okay to apply to schools even though ALL the pre-req's haven't been completed? This is my 2nd semester but I want to apply next fall and the only classes that I'll be lacking are Organic and maybe BioChem. Thanks again!
 

TMVegas

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2005
137
0
Status
Most people apply before they finish their pre-req's
 

WVURxGal

Mountaineer
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2004
121
0
34
Morgantown, WV
Status
Yes, applying without being completly done is completly normal. Usually schools will have a type of acceptance where you're accepted, provided you complete coursework that semester with Cs or better. Personally, I still have econ 225 (a stat class), comm 100 and 102, mbio 200, and phys 102 left to complete (I'm currently enrolled in all of them, what's important is that they're done by the end of the Spring 2005 semester for Fall 2005 entrance) and I've been admitted to West Virginia University SoP.

As long as your grades *now* are good, those Cs aren't going to hurt you as much as you'd expect. Schools look at overall GPA, but they also look at improvement, and it's something that would be appropriate to bring up during an interview. It seems that a whole lot of people on this forum graduated in something, went to work, and came back to school for pharmacy (and pre-reqs.) Just keep that 4.0 going! If you can keep an A for organic and classes of that difficulty, the old GPA probably won't be a huge roadblock.
 

DrPharm

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2004
141
1
Status
i'm 100% positive...well maybe 99% sure that you'll get into at least one of those schools listed above (unless you have a really bad interview experience). keep up that 4.0! that degree also looks great next to all the non-degreees. :thumbup:
 
OP
P

PharmEm

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2005
203
0
Status
Thanks everyone for your replies...they helped out a lot and made me feel better :)

But I was wondering if some of you guys could answer the first part of my question, being, "Based on my "situtation", how hard would it be for me to get accepted into the schools I want to attend?" Should I be looking at other schools, or do I have a shot at these schools?

Situation Recap:
Graduated with Business Degree and worked for a year. I took some science classes my freshmen year but made B's and C's and even took a couple of science classes over. Some of these classes are part of the pre-req's to pharmacy school, like gen chem II, which I took that class twice b/c I got a D in it the first time. I'm taking the pre-req's now at another university and I'm getting all A's in them. Does it look bad taking classes over and over again even though you get an A in them at the end? I think PharmCas avg.'s out your grades right? Also, I graduated from UT, and so would that help my chances of getting into UT pharm?

Thanks again, I'm REALLY glad I found this forum!
 

rxgal8

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2005
636
0
Status
PharmEm said:
My question to you is, how do you think pharmacy schools will look at my record since I've gotten B's and C's the first time I took those science classes but I'm getting all A's in them now?
Depends on the school, I think USC sometimes even replaces the old grades with your new grades instead of averaging. If the school doesn't replace your grades, then they'll probably end up averaging them. However, since the older grades are from more than 3 years ago (???) chances are that pharm schools won't be too much concerned about them. Keep up your grades for now and I'm sure you'll be fine :)

PharmEm said:
Univ. of Texas at Austin
Texas Tech
Univ. of Houston
Univ. of Wash
Univ. of Chicago
UCSF
USC
UCSD
Are these schools WAY out of my reach based on my situation that I stated above?
I'm from California, so I'm not sure about the out-of-state schools. For UCSF, UCSD, and USC, I think that the UC's will be harder to get in. UCSF is obviously the hardest one and UCSD due to a smaller class. But I think that you have a good chance with all of them since you have excellent grades and are determined :luck:

PharmEm said:
Is it okay to apply to schools even though ALL the pre-req's haven't been completed?
Yes, it is definitely okay to do your applications while still working on getting your pre-reqs done as long as you know that you'll be done with them before the summer/fall (depends on the school) of enrolling.

PharmEm said:
Based on my "situtation", how hard would it be for me to get accepted into the schools I want to attend?
Here's my opinion:
As far as grades are concerned, all the schools would definitely be interested in accepting you. Already having a bachelor's degree helps too. But since you were pre-med and then went into business, you have to show them that you are reallly interested in pharmacy. You can do so by working at a pharmacy/hospital, shadowing a pharmacist, volunteering, etc. Get your experience in because that matters a lot too. Also, you could do other extracurricular stuff, like tutoring, etc to add on to your application.

Hope this helps. Goodluck :thumbup:
 
OP
P

PharmEm

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2005
203
0
Status
THANKS EVERYONE!

You guys have truly eased my concerns! :confused: --> :D

Once again, I'm really glad I found this forum, this place is very informative and supportive! GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!
 

starsweet

10+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2005
897
1
Status
Pharmacist
PharmEm said:
THANKS EVERYONE!

You guys have truly eased my concerns! :confused: --> :D

Once again, I'm really glad I found this forum, this place is very informative and supportive! GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!
Hey everyone,

I have a related (sort of) question... I am in a similar situation, being an engineer, graduated in 2002, working full-time, and now applying to pharmacy school. I'm taking prereqs right now and am planning to apply to only 3 schools for next fall: UT-Austin, UGA, and UNC-Chapel Hill. I live in GA so I'd be considered out of state for UT and UNC. My undergrad GPA is about 3.1 (including all my engineering and other classes) but my pre-pharmacy GPA is much higher than this (not sure what the final will be cuz I'm not finished with prereqs, but it will definitely be higher) and I have not yet taken the PCAT. I know that having an engineering degree will really help in the admissions process. So should I still apply to more than 3 schools, or do I have a good enough shot getting into these 3? I would really like to go to either UT or UNC.

So what do you think? Btw, good luck to you all!
 

Glycerin

Commercially Unavailable
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2004
3,341
5
Squint your eyes and look closer.
Status
Pharmacist
starsweet said:
Hey everyone,

I have a related (sort of) question... I am in a similar situation, being an engineer, graduated in 2002, working full-time, and now applying to pharmacy school. I'm taking prereqs right now and am planning to apply to only 3 schools for next fall: UT-Austin, UGA, and UNC-Chapel Hill. I live in GA so I'd be considered out of state for UT and UNC. My undergrad GPA is about 3.1 (including all my engineering and other classes) but my pre-pharmacy GPA is much higher than this (not sure what the final will be cuz I'm not finished with prereqs, but it will definitely be higher) and I have not yet taken the PCAT. I know that having an engineering degree will really help in the admissions process. So should I still apply to more than 3 schools, or do I have a good enough shot getting into these 3? I would really like to go to either UT or UNC.

So what do you think? Btw, good luck to you all!
Out of curiosity, what made you choose only those schools?
 

goheel

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2003
602
0
34
Raleigh, NC
Visit site
Status
starsweet said:
Hey everyone,

I have a related (sort of) question... I am in a similar situation, being an engineer, graduated in 2002, working full-time, and now applying to pharmacy school. I'm taking prereqs right now and am planning to apply to only 3 schools for next fall: UT-Austin, UGA, and UNC-Chapel Hill. I live in GA so I'd be considered out of state for UT and UNC. My undergrad GPA is about 3.1 (including all my engineering and other classes) but my pre-pharmacy GPA is much higher than this (not sure what the final will be cuz I'm not finished with prereqs, but it will definitely be higher) and I have not yet taken the PCAT. I know that having an engineering degree will really help in the admissions process. So should I still apply to more than 3 schools, or do I have a good enough shot getting into these 3? I would really like to go to either UT or UNC.

So what do you think? Btw, good luck to you all!
I think you should apply to some private schools. UT and UNC are both public schools, so they take only a small numbers of out-of-state students. I know the average GPA of people who got accepted to UNC this year is about 3.5-3.6, so if you can bring your GPA up to around that mark, I think you have a shot. You might even need better grades, since it's harder for out-of-state applicants to get in.
 

starsweet

10+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2005
897
1
Status
Pharmacist
FutureRxGal said:
Out of curiosity, what made you choose only those schools?
I chose them because they are close to home but I used to live in TX so I would prefer to go to UT. And I didn't pick any private schools because I thought they would be too expensive. I have been told that pharmacy schools are not really ranked (though I have seen a rankings list) but that they didn't really matter.
 
OP
P

PharmEm

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2005
203
0
Status
starsweet said:
I chose them because they are close to home but I used to live in TX so I would prefer to go to UT. And I didn't pick any private schools because I thought they would be too expensive. I have been told that pharmacy schools are not really ranked (though I have seen a rankings list) but that they didn't really matter.
Starsweet,
I think you should apply to as many schools as possible. The main reason that I'm applying to a bunch of schools is b/c i'm already "old (mid-20's, haha, ok, maybe not THAT old)" so I want to make sure I get in the first time around instead of having to wait a whole other year.
I think we're both in the same situation, graduated, worked for about a year or so, realized the corporate life wasn't worth it and now want to get into pharmacy school. So if you have any questions or need any help let me know.
I think you said you're going to apply to UT pharm, and I'm a Tex-Ex so if you need any info on UT feel free to ask away. Hope this helps. :)
 

starsweet

10+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2005
897
1
Status
Pharmacist
PharmEm said:
Starsweet,
I think you should apply to as many schools as possible. The main reason that I'm applying to a bunch of schools is b/c i'm already "old (mid-20's, haha, ok, maybe not THAT old)" so I want to make sure I get in the first time around instead of having to wait a whole other year.
I think we're both in the same situation, graduated, worked for about a year or so, realized the corporate life wasn't worth it and now want to get into pharmacy school. So if you have any questions or need any help let me know.
I think you said you're going to apply to UT pharm, and I'm a Tex-Ex so if you need any info on UT feel free to ask away. Hope this helps. :)
I know what you mean by "old." I'm in my mid 20s in the same situation, working 2+ years as an engineer in the boonies (at least compared to where I was during school, in Atlanta). Another reason why I don't want to apply to more than a few schools is because all the schools have freakin different requirements! If it was standardized it would be so much easier. So if I haven't completed all the requirements for all the schools I'm applying to there's no point in applying to so many as far as I can see... But you do have a point in that applying to many will guarantee that you get into at least one school.

So what made you decide on pharmacy? I hate the corporate lifestyle too.

I would love to go to UT because Austin seems like a great city. How did you like it there, is it really as big as they say it is? I just hope that they accept the Microbiology class I'm taking at a CC.... crossing my fingers.... :)
 
OP
P

PharmEm

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2005
203
0
Status
Hey starsweet,
I PM-ed you. Hope it helps.





starsweet said:
I know what you mean by "old." I'm in my mid 20s in the same situation, working 2+ years as an engineer in the boonies (at least compared to where I was during school, in Atlanta). Another reason why I don't want to apply to more than a few schools is because all the schools have freakin different requirements! If it was standardized it would be so much easier. So if I haven't completed all the requirements for all the schools I'm applying to there's no point in applying to so many as far as I can see... But you do have a point in that applying to many will guarantee that you get into at least one school.

So what made you decide on pharmacy? I hate the corporate lifestyle too.

I would love to go to UT because Austin seems like a great city. How did you like it there, is it really as big as they say it is? I just hope that they accept the Microbiology class I'm taking at a CC.... crossing my fingers.... :)
 

wannabeapharm

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 26, 2005
119
0
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
If oyu retak a course over how do schools count that into your pa? Do some avg them together or count the best grade or what?

Does anyone find Chemistry or Calculus to be tough? If so, do you think this is an indication of having trouble IF i get into pharm school?