Should I be worried? (Another ROL question).

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

H&P-Stat

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you guys haven't already noticed, I'm prone to obsessing and then freaking out over little things. Here's my latest fiasco:

I'm a rather mediocre applicant in terms of grades, board scores, medical school reputation, interviewing skills, etc. So, I applied to a lot of programs and interviewed at almost every place that gave me an offer. Surprisingly, most of them were "big name" university types where I didn't think I'd have a chance of interviewing, let alone matching.

I've finally certified my ROL (thanks Cuts!) based on MY preference of programs, but realized something that is causing me some concern.... All 15 programs on my ROL are LONGSHOTS! In other words, I don't think I'm ranked at any of those places within the range where they usually dip to fill.

Well... should I add a few "safety schools" to my list just to make sure I match? Mind you, I wouldn't necessarily be unhappy at the "safeties" and the training would be great, but I'm already at my limit of 15 ranked programs and would have to pay the $30/additional program.

Another question, what's the lowest rank on the ROL you've heard of people dropping before matching in Anesthesiology last year? Most residents I asked matched within their top 4 programs, but then again, I know one person who didn't match at all (unusual case, though).

Ok.... take a deep breath... now exhale.

+pissed+ Arrrggggghhhhhhhhhh!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I would rank ALL the safeties that you are willing to complete your training at. $30/residency additional is not too much money to lose out on for your future training. I would not go over board and rank another 10 safeties, but you should have some safeties in your list.

Originally posted by H&P-Stat
I'm a rather mediocre applicant in terms of grades, board scores, medical school reputation, interviewing skills, etc. So, I applied to a lot of programs and interviewed at almost every place that gave me an offer. Surprisingly, most of them were "big name" university types where I didn't think I'd have a chance of interviewing, let alone matching.

.... All 15 programs on my ROL are LONGSHOTS! In other words, I don't think I'm ranked at any of those places within the range where they usually dip to fill.

H&P-Stat,

With all due respect, I seriously think you are selling yourself waaaay too short! As competitive as gas has gotten within recent years, do you really think you would have even been offered as many interviews at these "big guns", if you weren't at least a 1/2-way decent candidate??! I think you're probably a much stronger applicant than you give yourself credit for. :) According to statistics, it is pretty tough NOT to match if you've ranked as many programs as you have. I know this is a stressful time for you (and all of us) but just try to take it easy, breathe, and things will work out! Maybe try taking up yoga in all the time you (we) probably spend freaking out! Hope this helps and best wishes on 3/20! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
As competitive as gas has gotten within recent years, do you really think you would have even been offered as many interviews at these "big guns", if you weren't at least a 1/2-way decent candidate??!

Thanks for the vote of confidence R U SED8, but honestly, I think my letters of recommendation were the main reason I got the interviews. Apparently, one of my letter writers turned out to be really connected and well respected in the field (unbeknownst to me until interview season). In fact, I got a lot of comments like "Oh, you worked with Dr. Pimpdaddy... he's pretty famous ya' know." Guess it's better to be lucky than good.

Seriously though, I DO think that I'm a halfway decent candidate. The problem is that most of the programs I'm ranking don't have to settle for decent candidates... they attract the best (or at least the goodest).

P.S. Who needs yoga when ya got access to Fentanyl? (Erm... a little gaspasser joke.)

In the past week I narrowed down my ROL from 10 to 6. I have a strong application but as a us-fmg we tend to default to the middle of the pack regardless of boards or anything else. If you are ranking 15 programs you will match somewhere.. stats just dictate that. Check out nrmp's site for detailed info on match algorithm.. it actually does make sense.

Originally posted by H&P-Stat
I've finally certified my ROL (thanks Cuts!)

Well... should I add a few "safety schools" to my list just to make sure I match?

No prob bro :cool:.

Definitely rank them. And if you end up matching higher, you can rank on them :p .

Thanks for the replies everyone. Now I've got another question. Hypothetically speaking, what if I would be unhappy at the programs I'm considering adding to my list? Are you guys ranking places just to make sure you don't go unmatched? My advisor told me not to list any programs where I wouldn't want to go, but with Anesthesiology getting so tight these days, should I be happy just to get my foot in the door?

You'd better be quick with responses... I've only got two more days to pull the trigger on this one.

Cheers!

For me personally, I would not even consider ranking a place that I would not consent to contract with. I interviewed at 11 programs and only ranked 9. Some were "big guns" & others were what you refer to as "safety" programs. However, I did extensive snooping around to learn what I could, where I could about programs...and tried to hang out for an extra day at a few of my interviews to get a better feel for things.

But, how I approached my application, interview & ROL doesn't make a rat's ass worth of difference for you. YOU must decide how best for YOU to approach this. NO ONE else can direct or guide you on this decision. ONLY YOU truly know how things felt and how well you will fit into each program.

Do yourself a huge favor -- spend less time freaking out & most time learning who you are and in deep introspection so that you can make the best decisions for yourself.

I would suggest you rank as many places as you can if you want to be an anesthesiologist. The match will be much tougher next year, and if you don't match now it is unlikely that you will match in a year if you applay again, and i don't expect much to be left after the scramble. I understand what OldManDave says about not ranking a place you would not want to train, but I have met OldManDave on the interview trail and he is an "old man". .:D Those of us who arer younger, and have time to spare may not mind spending a few years in a "hell hole" if it gets us to our end goal. I am only 24, and I will have plenty of time for introspection later, what else is there for an anesthesiologist to if he frogets to bring a book to the OR, LOL. Rank another 5 safetys, in 4 years when you are making 250k the 30$/program will seem like a joke.

Having said that, you probaby are being a bit paranoid, if 15 long shots interviewed you, at least one must have thought u would fit at their program.

Good luck to you all in the match.

Do yourself a huge favor -- spend less time freaking out & most time learning who you are and in deep introspection so that you can make the best decisions for yourself.

<------ Dependent Personality Disorder

Would you guys tell me what to do already?!?!

J/K of course.

Assuming that you have 5 safeties that you're debating ranking. Come March 20 which scenario would you rather be in: Having $150 more in your pocket or being matched?

Get some perspective, medical school costs well over $100,000 to go through. If you really think you might not match with 15 programs ranked and you want to start residency this July, pay the money and rank all the safety programs you would be willing to go to.

Another way to look at it is consider the year's income that you will lose if you have to wait a year. Is that worth a couple hundred bucks?

Hey Hey Hey NaeBlis -- I am NOT that old...not yet to the "farts dust" stage of life!

By the way, since we "allegedly met" -- may I ask who you are and where we met? I was fortunate in that I met quite a few SDNers on the interview trial. All those trips were tiring, but, looking back, it was certainly fun too! I am one of those really odd people who enjoy being interviewed. To me, it is like a game or a puzzle. I enjoy the challenge!

Best of luck to you all for the match...even you NaeBlis -- calling me an old man!!!

hehe

No, your not that old, hehe. But i think you are old enough that your perspective was a little different than the rest of us, and worth pointing out.

I'm pretty sure i met you in Rochester, though i did not realize it at the time so i had no direct confirmation.

I know you're all dying to find out.... Well, I decided not to add anymore programs. That $150 bucks is now going towards booze and "entertainment" come Matchday!

Good luck gang!

Originally posted by NaeBlis
No, your not that old, hehe. But i think you are old enough that your perspective was a little different than the rest of us, and worth pointing out.

I'm pretty sure i met you in Rochester, though i did not realize it at the time so i had no direct confirmation.

Yeah, a different, but not necessarily unapplicable situation.

Were you the Sihk (sp?) gentleman I met from NYC?

:clap:

That was me, how did u guess? Spelled sikh, btw.

True, not inapplicable, moot point now anyway. Good luck in the match.