Should I be worried? Super stressed out...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted432094

I am so worried that my stats are not up to par with the competition. As the type of person who worries and stresses out about everything, I think I may be over doing it but some days I think I have a snow ball's chance in hell of getting into med school.

I'm not necessarily looking for reassurance that I'm not as bad as I think so much as that I have a chance to get accepted into med school.

Year - Junior
GPA - 3.46

- Have not yet taken MCAT (hoping to god it's a 30+)
- Am in the honors program in my private liberal arts uni
- My GPA took a major beating freshman year (straight b's first semester) but I'm since had a huge upward trend and am hoping for a 3.8-4.0 this semester.

EC

- I'm involved in research (may be getting published) that is in its second year
- I'm a member of the Honors Board
- Pre-med club
- Newspaper
- etc.

Volunteer

- Big Brother Big Sister (1 semester)
- icouldbe.org (1 year)
- Nursing home (6 months)
- etc.

Shadowing
- Shadowed my uncle for 40 hours (spine surgeon)
- Shadowing program in school three hours once a week for a semester

Extra
- I have a steady job
- I also work as an SI (like a paid TA) and tutor nursing students

So any thoughts? Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

I am so worried that my stats are not up to par with the competition. As the type of person who worries and stresses out about everything, I think I may be over doing it but some days I think I have a snow ball's chance in hell of getting into med school.

I'm not necessarily looking for reassurance that I'm not as bad as I think so much as that I have a chance to get accepted into med school.

Year - Junior
GPA - 3.46

- Have not yet taken MCAT (hoping to god it's a 30+)
- Am in the honors program in my private liberal arts uni
- My GPA took a major beating freshman year (straight b's first semester) but I'm since had a huge upward trend and am hoping for a 3.8-4.0 this semester.

EC

- I'm involved in research (may be getting published) that is in its second year
- I'm a member of the Honors Board
- Pre-med club
- Newspaper
- etc.

Volunteer

- Big Brother Big Sister (1 semester)
- icouldbe.org (1 year)
- Nursing home (6 months)
- etc.

Shadowing
- Shadowed my uncle for 40 hours (spine surgeon)
- Shadowing program in school three hours once a week for a semester

Extra
- I have a steady job
- I also work as an SI (like a paid TA) and tutor nursing students

So any thoughts? Any suggestions?
What's your BCPM GPA?

With a 3.46, I'd suggest adding DO schools (your strong upward trend may be good enough without adding them, however. It's a personal decision TBH)

I would also say you should get in some volunteering in a hospital or clinic. The nursing home is good, but you'll want to find something else where you're around doctors more often. Try to get started on that ASAP since applicants have an average of about 1.5 years of clinical exposure

OK, I'm certainly going to sign up to volunteer at my local hospital.

And if I get 4.0s this semester and next I will end up with a 3.55 overall (which I think is pretty likely). I'm not sure what my science gpa is but I think it's 3.4-ish

Members don't see this ad :)
To be honest, you're kind of a blah applicant -- Nothing to special to offset the lower than average GPA. Things to improve your app:
1) get experience WORKING in the clinical field (EMT, CNA, phlebotomist, etc.)
2) more non-clinical volunteering
3) more physician shadowing (especially PCPs & at least 1 DO)
4) get some leadership experience
5) strongly consider DO so that your overall chances for matriculation are increased for a single cycle of applications

For ECs, get some clinical volunteer/paid work done very soon. You seem to be lacking in that area. The non-clinical ECs look alright... I think you should focus on Clinical work and the MCAT right now.

Also, what's your state of residency?

More clinical ECs, but really it's the MCAT score that will influence which specific schools you'll be looking into. You might also try to get some more leadership type activities, but only pursue the clubs or positions that you'll be good and dedicated at. The steady job is good, too. Keep it up!

For ECs, get some clinical volunteer/paid work done very soon. You seem to be lacking in that area. The non-clinical ECs look alright... I think you should focus on Clinical work and the MCAT right now.

Also, what's your state of residency?

I live in New York but go to school in Pennsylvania.