Should I be worried?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefulfuturemd1999

Stressed MS3
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN, I'm still trying to figure out how the forums work so I apologize if this is in the wrong place. I have submitted secondaries in early September to 15 schools, and haven't heard much. I've received 2 rejections, 1 waitlist, and 2 interviews since then, but it's getting kinda late into the cycle and I'm wondering if I should just assume that it's rejections in the making/already made. For context: 3.7cGPA, 3.5sGPA, 504 MCAT; URM with lots of extracurriculars, shadowing hours, and leadership roles.

Schools still waiting to hear from:
Temple
Tufts
Drexel
Emory
Meharry
Howard
VCU
Einstein
ECU
Morehouse
Ohio State

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
So you've heard back from 5/15 schools? I've heard back from exactly 1/3 of my schools too. It sucks. I don't know how to interpret the timeline either, but I would say keep trudging along and send in update letters if possible. A friend of mine got an II this week from a state MD program, but other schools like Wayne State are done giving out interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
Also since you have two interviews I highly doubt there are red flags!

Reactions: 2 users
I'm really surprised that you haven't seen any live.

Did you have a declining GOA trend? IAs???

Bad LOR is a possibility
My GPA trend has been pretty consistent throughout undergrad, I didn't have any bad semesters or any institutional/disciplinary actions. My LORs were from people that I have good relationships with so I like to hope it's just covid messing up the timelines. Thank you for your help!

So you've heard back from 5/15 schools? I've heard back from exactly 1/3 of my schools too. It sucks. I don't know how to interpret the timeline either, but I would say keep trudging along and send in update letters if possible. A friend of mine got an II this week from a state MD program, but other schools like Wayne State are done giving out interviews.
Yesssss it sucks, but best of luck to you and your friend too!

Hello SDN, I'm still trying to figure out how the forums work so I apologize if this is in the wrong place. I have submitted secondaries in early September to 15 schools, and haven't heard much. I've received 2 rejections, 1 waitlist, and 2 interviews since then, but it's getting kinda late into the cycle and I'm wondering if I should just assume that it's rejections in the making/already made. For context: 3.7cGPA, 3.5sGPA, 504 MCAT; URM with lots of extracurriculars, shadowing hours, and leadership roles.

Schools still waiting to hear from:
Temple
Tufts
Drexel
Emory
Meharry
Howard
VCU
Einstein
ECU
Morehouse
Ohio State

My advice would be to pursue parallel tracks:

1. Send in the LOIs to programs that accept them and value them. (See Medical - When Will Medical Schools Give You an Answer? for a partial list) Accept all IIs and hope for the best. You still have a chance.
2. Assume you are getting rejected and plan next steps. Prepare for and retake the MCAT? Apply next time to DO programs as well as MD programs? Improve how you present your experiences?

Given what you wrote above, I'm also surprised you don't have more IIs. I wonder about the way you presented yourself via the application. I hope they are still coming. :) It could of course just be COVID delays.

Best,
Linda

Reactions: 2 users
I had a similar mcat to yours but 3.8gpa. I didn’t get any MD interviews so you’re still doing great. Hang in there. Plenty of time left.