Should I be worrying about all my Ws?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nanali

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Gosh, I was just looking at my transcript from a county college and saw so many Ws, 7 to be exact.. 3 from P.E. classes b/c I got injured and had to withdraw from all three. And the other 4 were from random semesters. *this is when i first started college* I wished I knew about "not to withdraw from any class unless u have to". I guess I should have not listen to my brother's advice about dropping any class I don't like, that's his philosophy for college. *sigh* On top of these Ws, I have 4 more Ws from nursing school. Sorry guys, I don't mean to be freaking out already even though I am not applying yet, but if there's anyone out there applying for 2007 cycle and in similar situations, I was just wondering what Adcom had to say about this. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Gosh, I was just looking at my transcript from a county college and saw so many Ws, 7 to be exact.. 3 from P.E. classes b/c I got injured and had to withdraw from all three. And the other 4 were from random semesters. *this is when i first started college* I wished I knew about "not to withdraw from any class unless u have to". I guess I should have not listen to my brother's advice about dropping any class I don't like, that's his philosophy for college. *sigh* On top of these Ws, I have 4 more Ws from nursing school. Sorry guys, I don't mean to be freaking out already even though I am not applying yet, but if there's anyone out there applying for 2007 cycle and in similar situations, I was just wondering what Adcom had to say about this. Thanks

why the switch from nursing school. You could make a good living as a nurse minus all the stress of a dentist. i'd stick with that.

the seven W's definitely won't help you..that's for sure. what classes were the W's in? You say they were all from when you first started college, and then you say they were randomly spread out? which one is it? Will you make up excuses for your W's like you seem to be doing on this msg board when the AdComs ask you about them in your interview? These are all questions that you need to answer before anyone can tell you how bad all these W's will hurt you.

Personally, I don't have one W, but I do have 2 D's. I could have withdrawn from the classes but I didn't...i stuck em out. I retook the courses (both pre-reqs) and got A's. During my interview, I wasn't even asked about these grades. Mistakes happen..adcoms know this. If you can man up to the mistakes then that reflects positively on you.

Others on this board see this differently as me, but i would rather have a D on my transcript than a W. But you know what they say...different strokes for different folks.

Good luck,
jb!

Members don't see this ad :)
why the switch from nursing school. You could make a good living as a nurse minus all the stress of a dentist. i'd stick with that.

Yes, I think nursing is a good field right now, unless you, of course, want to pursue a terminal degree like dentistry. With nursing you also have the option of becoming a nurse practitioner and specializing--become a nurse anesthetist and you easily earn 6 figures. . . You don't have to worry about managing your own clinic, handling insurance, overhead, etc.
It is in such demand and the courseload is not only shorter, but definitely not as difficult as dentistry.

I guess graduating from high school early did not help me much, well in the way I think at least. When I first started out college, my brother was already in his 3rd year and so I seek lots of advice from him. He alwasy told me that college is so much more fun and easier than high school, which i do agree with, but he also told me that well just take a class and if u don't like it, drop it. It doesn't hurt you as long as you don't go under the requirement of full time. As naive as I was back then, I believed him. But he's not the one to blame, I was. Anyway, I have never withdraw from any pre-reqs class.. I didn't know what I wanted to major in, and so I register for intro to soc and then realize that I didn't need that class and so I dropped it. I hate math, register for trig and then dropped it b/c nursing school didn't need it. As for the 3 ws for the p.e class i really did got injured and so i had to withdraw from them. Now to nursing school. =) Well I got into nursing school b/c of the many opportunities that it gives you like nurse pract, nurse anesthesia.. but when I stepped foot into the hospital for my first clinical rotation, I knew this is not what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. It was just so depressing to see all those sick ppl and, it was just not me.. u know the feeling of out of place. and so I withdrew from it right away. (after many clinical rotations) If I could turn back the hands of time, I would difinitely shadow some nurses b4 getting myself into nursing school. Anyway, I did a lot of soul searching and I narrowed it down to dental and pharmacy. I did some shadowing and talking to many pharmacists (friends of family) and it wasn't right for me.. and so I shadowed my boyfriend's sister (she's a dentist) and talked to her and I got really interested in field. I can actually see myself doing it. And so here I am now.. getting ready to graduate next year and applying for the 2008 cycle. I am currently shadowing couple of dentists. I am hoping that adcom will hopefully look past my Ws and see that I have turned around.

I guess graduating from high school early did not help me much, well in the way I think at least. When I first started out college, my brother was already in his 3rd year and so I seek lots of advice from him. He alwasy told me that college is so much more fun and easier than high school, which i do agree with, but he also told me that well just take a class and if u don't like it, drop it. It doesn't hurt you as long as you don't go under the requirement of full time. As naive as I was back then, I believed him. But he's not the one to blame, I was. Anyway, I have never withdraw from any pre-reqs class.. I didn't know what I wanted to major in, and so I register for intro to soc and then realize that I didn't need that class and so I dropped it. I hate math, register for trig and then dropped it b/c nursing school didn't need it. As for the 3 ws for the p.e class i really did got injured and so i had to withdraw from them. Now to nursing school. =) Well I got into nursing school b/c of the many opportunities that it gives you like nurse pract, nurse anesthesia.. but when I stepped foot into the hospital for my first clinical rotation, I knew this is not what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. It was just so depressing to see all those sick ppl and, it was just not me.. u know the feeling of out of place. and so I withdrew from it right away. (after many clinical rotations) If I could turn back the hands of time, I would difinitely shadow some nurses b4 getting myself into nursing school. Anyway, I did a lot of soul searching and I narrowed it down to dental and pharmacy. I did some shadowing and talking to many pharmacists (friends of family) and it wasn't right for me.. and so I shadowed my boyfriend's sister (she's a dentist) and talked to her and I got really interested in field. I can actually see myself doing it. And so here I am now.. getting ready to graduate next year and applying for the 2008 cycle. I am currently shadowing couple of dentists. I am hoping that adcom will hopefully look past my Ws and see that I have turned around.

What are your stats?

Hmm overall at TCC 3.95 and so far a 4.0 at UTA. So i am hoping to keep it that way till next may. wish me luck!

I was told by an ADCOM that a "D" is better than a W because it shows you stuck it out. He said that W's are a reflection of your overall character, and lets the ADCOMs know that you give in easily under pressure. At least this is what I was told by my interviewer at Univ of Michigan. He even mentioned that he had a D in biology first year and that it looked better than a W.

To be honest, everybody will judge a W differently and based on a variety of reasons. I have two Ws on my transcript. I chose to withdraw because I wanted to. As silly as that may sound, I decided that I wanted to complete another degree completely different from the sciences. I wanted a chance to experience another side of academia. Some would say that I should have completed both courses rather than withdraw from them. However, the classes I withdrew from were the only courses I needed to complete. One was a senior project course, while the other was an elective course for my degree. (BTW- I went on to get As in both courses the next year.) I knew that if I completed both courses that semester, I would be giving up financial aid for the duration of my second degree. An individual can only receive grants for a first degree. Any subsequent degrees are only funded via loans. Therefore, my reasoning was partially based on my current financial situation and my resolve to remain primarily debt-free until professional school. A combination of scholarships and grants have worked to my advantage thus far. How I will be judged for my decision is yet to be seen, but I can honestly say that I made it just for me. That is not something I often did throughout my udnergraduate career. I was always aiming to please. Besides, there is nothing I can do about it now. Those withdrawals may or may not hurt me, but I cannot go back in time. Neither can you. Try not to focus on it too much. The withdrawals already exist whether they will hurt you or not. All you can do now is try to better your application by focusing on the present and future. Good luck!

nanali,

with a gpa like that i wouldn't sweat the W's too much. just keep your gpa up, nail the dat, and be honest with the adcoms about your W's if asked about them during interviews.

good luck,
jb!