Should I become a Mechanical Engineer or Pharmacist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Student144

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am unsure which career path to take. Being a ME allows me to work for the medical field in designing and developing devices which can positively impact people's lives. As for a Pharmacist, I can assist patients with their well-being. I am not sure about the job prospects of a ME, but I know for a pharmacy, it's not the best.

Members don't see this ad.

ME isn't the best of engineering either. they're both different things, and I don't think SDN is the place to ask. You should go ask an ME and some pharmacists about how they view their field, not rely on SDN's opinion on what you should do. we don't even know your name!

Personally, the pharmacists I've spoken with have been overall positive or indifferent about their experiences. Not sure what kinda people others speak to though. Sounds like it's a crapshoot. There are fields that are much easier, take less time with better pay or better working conditions. But few are unicorns with little drawbacks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Engineering is far less risky in that you do not have to take out $200k+ in loans and spend an additional 4 years in school. Your quality of life will be better as an engineer, as you do not have to deal with the drudgery of pharmacist work environments, namely retail where the vast majority of the jobs are. Your potential for raises is also far better as an engineer.

Some engineering disciplines do offer better job prospects than others. Software engineers, for example, are in very high demand right now.

Sent from my SM-N910V using SDN mobile

I wouldn't let online anonymous posters dictate my future. If I were you, I would research and shadow both fields, similar to what Apples2Oranges suggested.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't listen to stoichiometrist. He's notorious for discouraging people on the pharmacy forum to pursue other careers. I would take Apples2Oranges's advice.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't listen to stoichiometrist. He's notorious for discouraging people on the pharmacy forum to waste $200k+ and 4 years when there are much better career options.

FTFY

It's sad to see that all you do is discourage pre-pharmacy on every post. For everyone reading this thread, please take stoichiometrist's words with a grain of salt.

overview for stoichiometristsdn

If you look at his history on reddit, you can see for yourself that stoichiometrist does nothing but tell people to change their career paths. Sorry to expose you, but it's true....

Reactions: 1 users
Humble_sloth where are You??? This topic is calling your name. Your absence is truly being felt!

Sent from my SM-G935P using SDN mobile

Engineering is far less risky in that you do not have to take out $200k+ in loans and spend an additional 4 years in school. Your quality of life will be better as an engineer, as you do not have to deal with the drudgery of pharmacist work environments, namely retail where the vast majority of the jobs are. Your potential for raises is also far better as an engineer.

Some engineering disciplines do offer better job prospects than others. Software engineers, for example, are in very high demand right now.

Say hi to humble_sloth for me

Sent from my SM-G935P using SDN mobile

It's sad to see that all you do is discourage pre-pharmacy on every post. For everyone reading this thread, please take stoichiometrist's words with a grain of salt.

overview for stoichiometristsdn

If you look at his history on reddit, you can see for yourself that stoichiometrist does nothing but tell people to change their career paths. Sorry to expose you, but it's true....

To be fair, it's not like Stoichiometrist is lying. The loans are around 200k for many schools and it continues to rise. And while pharmacy is not a bad career option, there's certainly better ones out there depending on the lifestyle/stress level/earnings/promotions you're looking for.

You always say something about 200k in loans. My school is barely 60k

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

You always say something about 200k in loans. My school is barely 60k

What magnificent school is that?

Mine is 140k before even considering housing, food, school supplies, parking and the 121334 gallons of gas that it takes to drive to various internships.

What magnificent school is that?

Mine is 140k before even considering housing, food, school supplies, parking and the 121334 gallons of gas that it takes to drive to various internships.

Wow. It's TSU. I actually don't think I would have gone into pharmacy if it would cost me that much. Now of course if I factor in gas to commute it goes up. But we don't have to buy the books either as it's passed down from one class to the next as tradition.

What career are you in?

Wow. It's TSU. I actually don't think I would have gone into pharmacy if it would cost me that much. Now of course if I factor in gas to commute it goes up. But we don't have to buy the books either as it's passed down from one class to the next as tradition.

Haha I guess not everything is bigger in Texas then. It seems that Texas and a few school in the midwest are still in the sub 100k range. If you're looking at a school on the east or west coast it'll almost certainly be 100k-170k. Up to 200k in California schools and private schools.