Should I bother applying to top 20 schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

migosonfire

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Background: Just finished Undergrad, African American
GPA: cGPA: 3.71 sGPA: 3.63 Strong upward trend 3.9-4.0 last 3 years, first year got me a little bit
clip_image001.png

MCAT: 507 - Really messed up, but too late to retake
ECs:
-Recently went on a mission to Ethiopia to shadow a rural surgeon over 100 hours shadowing
-500 clinical volunteering
-5000 various volunteering in my underserved community over the decade
-200 hours helping Syrian refugees
-100 over hours Chinese students get accustomed to life at my University, was basically like a big brother and tried to help these students.
-300 hours of general research - will be in a lab during my gap year expanding my research during my gap year
- Held down many jobs throughout school and tried to divide my time as much as possible
-Couple of other little things here and there

My Question is I'm below the 10% MSAR for most of them, is it even worth applying honestly

Members don't see this ad.

I say yes, as a URM and with pretty great ECs you have a chance. Do you have shadowing in the US?

Members don't see this ad :)
Background: Just finished Undergrad, African American
GPA: cGPA: 3.71 sGPA: 3.63 Strong upward trend 3.9-4.0 last 3 years, first year got me a little bit
clip_image001.png

MCAT: 507 - Really messed up, but too late to retake
ECs:
-Recently went on a mission to Ethiopia to shadow a rural surgeon over 100 hours shadowing
-500 clinical volunteering
-5000 various volunteering in my underserved community over the decade
-200 hours helping Syrian refugees
-100 over hours Chinese students get accustomed to life at my University, was basically like a big brother and tried to help these students.
-300 hours of general research - will be in a lab during my gap year expanding my research during my gap year
- Held down many jobs throughout school and tried to divide my time as much as possible
-Couple of other little things here and there

My Question is I'm below the 10% MSAR for most of them, is it even worth applying honestly
YES!!!

Make sure you apply to enough target schools. After that, shoot for the stars brotha!!