Should I bother applying to West Coast Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

somedude14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I live in the East Coast and I am poor. In fact, I will barely make enough money working this summer to pay for my tuition. If I get an interview at a West Coast school, am I supposed to pay my way there? I've heard of a few programs that will let you have a phone interview and won't hurt your chances or even pay your way there. I'm guessing this is the exception, not the rule though.

Members don't see this ad.

Some may take care of your travel/living expenses, but it is not guaranteed. But you never know if you don’t apply.

I live in the East Coast and I am poor. In fact, I will barely make enough money working this summer to pay for my tuition. If I get an interview at a West Coast school, am I supposed to pay my way there? I've heard of a few programs that will let you have a phone interview and won't hurt your chances or even pay your way there. I'm guessing this is the exception, not the rule though.

Where r u applying?

Members don't see this ad :)

I went through this with one school that clearly stated in the interview letter that a phone interview would have no negative impact, but when I called, they implied it wouldn't be looked upon favorably. And I get it- if they meet some great applicants in person, I don't see why they'd take a chance on someone they've never met. Personally, I call that hurting my chances.

That being said, if you can scrounge up application fees, apply. In the end, what gets you in is not GPA, GRE score, or even research experience; it's fit. If you match w/ schools and mentors on the West Coast, it's in your best interest to apply there. I'd worry about travel if and when the time comes. Only one of my schools offered me travel compensation, through a diversity initiative, but I don't know what the norm is.

I went through this with one school that clearly stated in the interview letter that a phone interview would have no negative impact, but when I called, they implied it wouldn't be looked upon favorably. And I get it- if they meet some great applicants in person, I don't see why they'd take a chance on someone they've never met. Personally, I call that hurting my chances.

That being said, if you can scrounge up application fees, apply. In the end, what gets you in is not GPA, GRE score, or even research experience; it's fit. If you match w/ schools and mentors on the West Coast, it's in your best interest to apply there. I'd worry about travel if and when the time comes. Only one of my schools offered me travel compensation, through a diversity initiative, but I don't know what the norm is.

Thank you for the reply. I probably will apply to some schools that match up very well with my interests and such. I just know it will be very hard for me to get enough money to fly across the US. Interviews are generally what around 40 people for like 8 spots? So even if I get an interview it could be a waste to even fly out there. But of course I need to try and such but really I'm just trying to only apply to certain places where fit is optimal for me so I don't blow $75 per application fee

Where r u applying?

I'm not quite sure yet because I have to make sure the places I apply are really a good fit for me. I'm mostly looking at cognitive neuroscience PhD programs out west also.

Some of them are Berkeley, UCLA, Stanford, Utah, UC santa barba, USC, and some places like Utah and Texas A&M

I'm not quite sure yet because I have to make sure the places I apply are really a good fit for me. I'm mostly looking at cognitive neuroscience PhD programs out west also.

Some of them are Berkeley, UCLA, Stanford, Utah, UC santa barba, USC, and some places like Utah and Texas A&M

Oh! I was assuming clinical. Or do you mean experimental programs in addition to clinical ones? For the former, I don't know how much emphasis is put on the interview (if it is required at all). And I don't think the same 40 for 8 or 10 or whatever holds for these programs. But yes, when you need to get the best 'bang for your buck', optimal fit w/ varying levels of competitiveness= good plan.

Fwiw, when I applied, all but one program covered my expenses.

Oh! I was assuming clinical. Or do you mean experimental programs in addition to clinical ones? For the former, I don't know how much emphasis is put on the interview (if it is required at all). And I don't think the same 40 for 8 or 10 or whatever holds for these programs. But yes, when you need to get the best 'bang for your buck', optimal fit w/ varying levels of competitiveness= good plan.

Yes, roughly half of the schools I'm applying to will be clinical and the other half will be experimental/cognitive neuroscience.
I know this is kinda unfocused but the POI's for the clinical programs I will apply to all do some cog neuro research.

I just hope I get into somewhere!!

FWIW, a friend of mine applied to cognitive neuroscience programs this year and every interview she had, they covered her expenses (flights, housing, food, etc.) without even asking about financial need, etc. This included an interview that she drove to. So this may not be as much of an issue as it is with clinical programs.

FWIW, I did get into a program where I only did a phone interview, even though the program stated they strongly favored in-person interviews. I also got waitlisted at a program where I did a phone interview that stated they considered both equal (withdrew before being either accepted or rejected from the waitlist). I also was rejected from a program after doing a phone interview, though ironically, I got the rejection letter after I withdrew my app. But it is possible to get in based off just a phone interview. Not the ideal situation, but certainly possible.

Out of the 8 programs (School Psych PhD) that I interviewed at in person, only 1 paid for my travel expenses. I hear that experimental psych programs are usually better about this, though.

Last edited:
FWIW, a friend of mine applied to cognitive neuroscience programs this year and every interview she had, they covered her expenses (flights, housing, food, etc.) without even asking about financial need, etc. This included an interview that she drove to. So this may not be as much of an issue as it is with clinical programs.

I have found that non-clinical programs seem much more likely to pick up the tab....far fewer applicants and more niche. Tough call on the clinical programs, because unless you are on the very short-list, I don't see them paying for everything.

Get financial aid: subsidized and unsubsidized loans and apply for Pell grants. Check into scholarships as well. How are your HS or undergard grades? West coast schools tend to be a cheaper than East Coast schools. Now, as an out of state resident you will pay more, but CSU schools are very cheap, although they fill fast; also Berkely and Stanford are better schools which are cheaper than schools like Adelphi or CW Post part of the Long Island University program.

Old Westbury in Ny is very cheap and a decent school. What is your particular planned specialty and what year in school will you be?

Having been to Berkeley and Stanford I can tell you the libraries are second to none and Stanford gives visitors free 7 non consecutive days of free access to 23 libs. Definitely apply to as many schools as you can and try phone interviews where applicable, but CA schools are excellent! Having taken courses at several of these CA schools, I can tell you they are of very high quality and having grown up poor myself they are affordable.

Thank you for the reply. I probably will apply to some schools that match up very well with my interests and such. I just know it will be very hard for me to get enough money to fly across the US. Interviews are generally what around 40 people for like 8 spots? So even if I get an interview it could be a waste to even fly out there. But of course I need to try and such but really I'm just trying to only apply to certain places where fit is optimal for me so I don't blow $75 per application fee

I am not sure how long this applies or for how far a distance but I saw on yahoo news that there currently 6 dollar flights, but you have to stand the whole way.

Wow, I didn't know this was so prevalent even in experimental programs!

Get financial aid: subsidized and unsubsidized loans and apply for Pell grants. Check into scholarships as well. How are your HS or undergard grades? West coast schools tend to be a cheaper than East Coast schools. Now, as an out of state resident you will pay more, but CSU schools are very cheap, although they fill fast; also Berkely and Stanford are better schools which are cheaper than schools like Adelphi or CW Post part of the Long Island University program.

Old Westbury in Ny is very cheap and a decent school. What is your particular planned specialty and what year in school will you be?

Having been to Berkeley and Stanford I can tell you the libraries are second to none and Stanford gives visitors free 7 non consecutive days of free access to 23 libs. Definitely apply to as many schools as you can and try phone interviews where applicable, but CA schools are excellent! Having taken courses at several of these CA schools, I can tell you they are of very high quality and having grown up poor myself they are affordable.

I had terrible high school grades. I almost flunked out. I turned it around my senior year in HS and got into a decent college. I've excelled academically in college and I'm heading into my senior year. I've received all the scholarships I could get pretty much for being poor and getting good college grades. If I make it into graduate school it would be a fine success story :p

I'm really interested in cognitive neuroscience more than clinical psychology. Specifically social cognitive neuroscience. I know the difficulties of academia but I think I'm ready for it if I get a chance.

I'm glad to hear CA schools are good. Some of them seem to be a really good research fit for me. Actually the better fit schools seem to all be far away. Oh well

I had terrible high school grades. I almost flunked out. I turned it around my senior year in HS and got into a decent college. I've excelled academically in college and I'm heading into my senior year. I've received all the scholarships I could get pretty much for being poor and getting good college grades. If I make it into graduate school it would be a fine success story :p

I'm really interested in cognitive neuroscience more than clinical psychology. Specifically social cognitive neuroscience. I know the difficulties of academia but I think I'm ready for it if I get a chance.

I'm glad to hear CA schools are good. Some of them seem to be a really good research fit for me. Actually the better fit schools seem to all be far away. Oh well

I am glad you have overcome adversity and have earned such high marks and subsequent scholarships!

I grew up poor too, so no worries:thumbup: