puglovuh

2+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2016
Hi everyone,

I'm a first gen college student and I don't really have anyone to go to for advice so any help would be appreciated.

I'm wondering if I should bother applying to med school this upcoming year...So far my stats are: 3.92 GPA, 506 MCAT, 3 years research, 3 years office job, and hardly any volunteering.

I was thinking I should finish up my senior year while working as a CNA and getting more volunteering/shadowing, then applying for both physician assistant school and med school and see what happens.

Any pointers or advice???

mw18

5+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2014
Status
Medical Student
I wouldn't recommend anyone apply unless they've got a healthy amount of volunteer work.

Do you really want to be a PA or a physician? Depending on your state schools you could give yourself a shot at MD, but with some volunteering I think you could definitely be successful MD/DO.

OP
P

puglovuh

2+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2016
I wouldn't recommend anyone apply unless they've got a healthy amount of volunteer work.

Do you really want to be a PA or a physician? Depending on your state schools you could give yourself a shot at MD, but with some volunteering I think you could definitely be successful MD/DO.
The med schools (or, at the very least, my state school) I plan on applying to have app deadlines in November. So even if I get some volunteer experience between now and then (maybe 80 hours), is that still not good/safe enough?

Also, I can't decide between PA and physician yet...I've been preparing for both, hoping that I'll decide eventually. I know shadowing both a PA and doctor would help me choose, but it's been tougher than I thought finding someone to shadow.

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status
Attending Physician
If you accumulate at least 100 hours of physician shadowing (MD and DO) and at least 100 hours of clinical volunteering you would be a strong candidate for DO schools if you apply next summer. You would also have a chance at some MD schools. Where is your state of residence?

Reactions: Gurkhali

candbgirl

Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2005
Status
Do not apply until you decide what path you want to take. You absolutely have to shadow several docs and a couple of PAs to see where you'd be happy and comfortable. You have time to do this in the upcoming year. You aren't ready to apply this cycle anyway, so work on those ECs and see what happens.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

OP
P

puglovuh

2+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2016
If you accumulate at least 100 hours of physician shadowing (MD and DO) and at least 100 hours of clinical volunteering you would be a strong candidate for DO schools if you apply next summer. You would also have a chance at some MD schools. Where is your state of residence?
Hawaii. So only one med school in my state.

OP
P

puglovuh

2+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2016
Do not apply until you decide what path you want to take. You absolutely have to shadow several docs and a couple of PAs to see where you'd be happy and comfortable. You have time to do this in the upcoming year. You aren't ready to apply this cycle anyway, so work on those ECs and see what happens.
Yeah, sounds like a good idea. I'm already halfway through my AMCAS application and I can't help but feel like I'm not ready to apply. I don't want to waste time or money until I've figured things out!

Reactions: candbgirl

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
No volunteering?

No application!!

Hi everyone,

I'm a first gen college student and I don't really have anyone to go to for advice so any help would be appreciated.

I'm wondering if I should bother applying to med school this upcoming year...So far my stats are: 3.92 GPA, 506 MCAT, 3 years research, 3 years office job, and hardly any volunteering.

I was thinking I should finish up my senior year while working as a CNA and getting more volunteering/shadowing, then applying for both physician assistant school and med school and see what happens.

Any pointers or advice???

MareNostrummm

D.O. Class of 2022
2+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Your application is going to be very rushed if you try to cram all your shadowing/volunteering into such a short time frame. Take a year off and plan to apply early for the 2018 cycle.