Should I bother raising MCAT? 2013 App.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trees55

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be applying this summer for 2013 matriculation. Currently the plan is D.O. but I was recently suggested to go ahead and try in-state MD schools. With that said, I know for a fact if I retake my MCAT that I can score above a 32. Right now I'll be applying with a 29.

Here's the catch, if I retake it'll be right around the last of May in order to have time to hardcore review after finals meaning I won't be able to submit my MD primary application until July. Is it worth waiting or should I shoot for an early application with my 29? My gpa is below avg but I have stellar ECs and am Hispanic as well as a first-generation deegree holder.

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be applying this summer for 2013 matriculation. Currently the plan is D.O. but I was recently suggested to go ahead and try in-state MD schools. With that said, I know for a fact if I retake my MCAT that I can score above a 32. Right now I'll be applying with a 29.

Here's the catch, if I retake it'll be right around the last of May in order to have time to hardcore review after finals meaning I won't be able to submit my MD primary application until July. Is it worth waiting or should I shoot for an early application with my 29? My gpa is below avg but I have stellar ECs and am Hispanic as well as a first-generation deegree holder.

I don't have the stats on me right now, but as a Hispanic with "stellar" ECs, a [~3.5], and a 29, you have an outstanding chance at an acceptance. Don't retake. Make sure you realize the numbers schools give are usually the MEDIAN - that means half the class is below that value. Statistically, not everyone can be above the median, it's impossible. You're fine.

:bang: shamefully my gpa is quite a bit below 3.5.
Again though, there's more info that may or may not help my cause.
There is a sharp upward trend starting sophomore year and I'm currently well on my way to achieving straight A's this semester. Unfortunately it's only one semester of 8 but... I'm really hoping it'll be enough to just barely tilt the scale towards an interview.

[EDIT] and thank you for responding, I'll definitely be taking what you said into consideration.

Members don't see this ad :)
:bang: shamefully my gpa is quite a bit below 3.5.
Again though, there's more info that may or may not help my cause.
There is a sharp upward trend starting sophomore year and I'm currently well on my way to achieving straight A's this semester. Unfortunately it's only one semester of 8 but... I'm really hoping it'll be enough to just barely tilt the scale towards an interview.

[EDIT] and thank you for responding, I'll definitely be taking what you said into consideration.

Feast your eyes on this, my brown friend:

https://www.aamc.org/download/157948/data/table25-h-mcatgpa-grid-hisp.pdf

Edit: And don't be ashamed of your GPA. We're to help, not judge. P.S. you should provide it so we can give you better advice.

Feast your eyes on this, my brown friend:

https://www.aamc.org/download/157948/data/table25-h-mcatgpa-grid-hisp.pdf

Edit: And don't be ashamed of your GPA. We're to help, not judge. P.S. you should provide it so we can give you better advice.

I had forgotten about that lovely table. Thanks for that. I needed a booster. It's crunch time and the nerves are creeping in.

I listed a summary of myself here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=903609

Thanks for everything

By the end of this semester I'll be well over 35/45 hours of working at the clinic where I'm able to get volunteering, realtime submersion, and shadowing as an interpreter, which is kind of nice because it adds a personal twist to your typical shadowing gig. As an interpreter, one becomes a bridge intimately placed between the doctor and their patient. Do you think that will suffice? The only downfall I see to it is that I can't build a long term relationship with the doctor since they're always different. Will admissions forgive this considering the circumstances?

Also, will the sharp trend in yearly gpa help my case? i.e. will my chances be closer to 60%, esp since the values given are for both a range of gpa and MCAT?

By the end of this semester I'll be well over 35/45 hours of working at the clinic where I'm able to get volunteering, realtime submersion, and shadowing as an interpreter, which is kind of nice because it adds a personal twist to your typical shadowing gig. As an interpreter, one becomes a bridge intimately placed between the doctor and their patient. Do you think that will suffice? The only downfall I see to it is that I can't build a long term relationship with the doctor since they're always different. Will admissions forgive this considering the circumstances?

Also, will the sharp trend in yearly gpa help my case? i.e. will my chances be closer to 60%, esp since the values given are for both a range of gpa and MCAT?

1. I'm not an expert, so take my advice with a grain of salt. Maybe Catalystik can chime in.

2. I think your chances are already at >60% given your research, other ECs, and upward trend. This assumes decent LORs.

3. If you have a glaring physical deformity (morbidly obese, vicious acne, multiple missing teeth) or interview poorly, all bets are off.

4. I personally would like to see dedicated shadowing in addition to what you've been doing. That means a few days with a doctor. You get to the office/hospital when he does. You look through charts together. Between or even during pt visits, he (or she) goes through his diagnosis strategy. You eat lunch together and repeat all this in the afternoon. You get to see what he does, how he does it and for how long, how the nurses and administrative staff figure in, etc. That's my opinion - stick around for others to chime in. :)

you probably dont even need to apply to DO unless you're interested in DO. you should easily land acceptance at MD if you apply early due to URM status.

There's also the option to apply with the 29, and check the box on AMCAS to indicate that you are retaking the MCAT. The drawback is that some (most?) schools will not review your application until your new scores come in. However, once your scores do come it, you've been verified, you've sent in your secondary, and you will be marked complete very soon after your new scores are reported.

Not sure if this would be a better route than applying early with a 29, since you are URM. Maybe someone else can chime in?