Should I bother sending in Michigan State's secondary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rocketbooster

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's kind of a pain in the ass. It's super long, a public school, and on the website it says they strongly urge to get everything in by the end of August. Well, that's not gonna happen. Probably 1-2 weeks into September.

My interest in the school is its #6-7 primary care rank haha. I am applying to other DO schools, though, have gotten all their secondaries and all, so...if you were me, would you just scrap this school? Is MSU really any better than like NYCOM, CCOM, Western, KCU, etc.?

Btw, do you get in-state tuition at MSU after living in MI for a year?

Members don't see this ad.

I believe your stuck with the ridiculous OOS tuition all 4 years. Not 100% certain tho.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe your stuck with the ridiculous OOS tuition all 4 years. Not 100% certain tho.

I didn't fill out their MD secondary because of this... but I will be doing the guard and that would give me in state... we'll see.

I heard from another SDNer that they are not going to review applications until the 3rd week of September, so I think you will be fine.

I think it is ridiculous that they require you to use their own evaluation forms. My letter writers were already nice enough to give their time to write some really nice letters, so I don't think I should have to bother them again to fill out evaluation forms! That, along with an outrageous OOS tuition was a no deal for me. . .I'll spend the time making my other secondaries better! =)

Is MSU really any better than like NYCOM, CCOM, Western, KCU, etc.?

you sort of have to figure out that on your own depending on different criteria.

No, you need to live in MI for at least 3 years to qualify for IS tuition.

Last edited:
It's kind of a pain in the ass. It's super long, a public school, and on the website it says they strongly urge to get everything in by the end of August. Well, that's not gonna happen. Probably 1-2 weeks into September.

My interest in the school is its #6-7 primary care rank haha. I am applying to other DO schools, though, have gotten all their secondaries and all, so...if you were me, would you just scrap this school? Is MSU really any better than like NYCOM, CCOM, Western, KCU, etc.?

you do know that oos tuition is 65THOUSAND dollars a year, right?

I think it is ridiculous that they require you to use their own evaluation forms. My letter writers were already nice enough to give their time to write some really nice letters, so I don't think I should have to bother them again to fill out evaluation forms!

I feel the exact same way! I don't want to bother people again, why can't they just use the letter system like everyone else and use those questions on the form as interview questions? It's frustrating.

I feel the exact same way! I don't want to bother people again, why can't they just use the letter system like everyone else and use those questions on the form as interview questions? It's frustrating.

For one MSUCOM is one of the few schools that typically does not interview their students. After the secondary unless they are very unsure it is either acceptance, wait list, or rejection.

For one MSUCOM is one of the few schools that typically does not interview their students. After the secondary unless they are very unsure it is either acceptance, wait list, or rejection.

That's good to know, do you know the OOS acceptance rate? I heard it is rather low...not too worried about the tuition, that's what the military is for.

Well Im not sure of any acceptance statistics, but as for the matriculation ones that I have seen OOS are still very low. This may however be due to the OOS tuition which I'm sure many of those students recognize and take another offer. If you have competitive statistics (at or above the average) and good EC's I think you'll stand a good shot at landing an acceptance.

Well Im not sure of any acceptance statistics, but as for the matriculation ones that I have seen OOS are still very low. This may however be due to the OOS tuition which I'm sure many of those students recognize and take another offer. If you have competitive statistics (at or above the average) and good EC's I think you'll stand a good shot at landing an acceptance.

MSU is public and has an obligation to accept state residents.

Trying to make this legible, from ASROME:
----------------------Total---IS-----IS%---OOS--OOS%
2004-05 MSUCOM | 148 | 132 | 89.2% | 16 | 10.8%
2005-06 MSUCOM | 205 | 185 | 90.2% | 20 | 9.8%

Whoa, so let me get this straight: MSUCOM doesn't interview? Or are you saying they only interview a few candidates? Hm. That's the first time I heard of a DO school not interviewing.

Whoa, so let me get this straight: MSUCOM doesn't interview? Or are you saying they only interview a few candidates? Hm. That's the first time I heard of a DO school not interviewing.

Yeah, the vast majority of people are accepted without interview. They will only interview you if they have to clear something up or are unsure of an aspect of your application. That's the reason their secondary and eval forms are so detailed.

Man, I couldn't imagine their secondary would be this absurd!! Screw those evaluation forms!!!
And I'm OOS. If I can't get 2 people to fill out those LoRs, I'll give up :(

Last edited by a moderator: