Should I bother taking french?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hrastio24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on taking Spanish throughout junior and senior years, but since my senior year schedule is pretty light I could probably fit in some introductory french. I probably wouldn't get fluent though, even though I really want to take it. Do you guys think I should do it or should I focus on mastering Spanish instead?

Members don't see this ad.

You probably won't be fluent in Spanish either, why waste the time?
That's true- I think I will drop out of school and ruminate on that philosophical point.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm planning on taking Spanish throughout junior and senior years, but since my senior year schedule is pretty light I could probably fit in some introductory french. I probably wouldn't get fluent though, even though I really want to take it. Do you guys think I should do it or should I focus on mastering Spanish instead?

Doesn't hurt to give it a try IMO

Hola, yo personalmente tomaría Español y me gustaría concentrarme en en eso nomas porque el Español sería muy útil aquí en los hospitales de los Estado Unidos.

Reactions: 1 user
You'll learn almost nothing in one year of french. I wouldn't bother with the switch, personally.

Spanish is way more useful and probably easier to learn (I'm "studying" for my final right now). I volunteer in a clinic and the little I know has been VERY helpful thus far! But two languages might not interfere with another too much, unless you get confused (I spat out my first langauge during my Spanish oral exam, yikes)...

You an actually get to a pretty good conversational of Spanish or French with just one year as long as you're not just doing the homework for your class and using that as your only means of learning. I think if you spend an hour and a half a day outside of class, you should be conversational

I think a year of French would teach you absolutely nothing of any utility. Take a class that is more useful or interesting.

Stick with Spanish. Y quiso mas de la vida.

Reactions: 1 users
I also have the option of taking Spanish and French together starting next year. Then I would have 2 years of French and 3 years of Spanish (I took a year in high school)

I took 4 years of French and remember almost nothing due to never using it. I remembered a little while I was in Tahiti in '05 then promptly forgot it again. Stick with the Spanish.

As someone who speaks French and a bit of Italian and Spanish, knowing one of the latin based languages definitely makes learning the others easier. That being said, it's easy to forget if you don't keep practicing.

Agreed with the above, learn whichever one you'll have the most opportunities to use if you actually want to retain it. Though I will say, visiting France as a French speaker is infinitely more fun than as an english only speaker.

Spanish will be more useful, should you retain any of it. I majored in French and I actually have had the opportunity to use it in clinics when a patient spoke it. Not necessarily for medical use, but it did help them feel more at ease.

i'd focus on mastering spanish as it seems it could really come in handy. i took two years of french, and with time off the language, am close to useless in conversation.

I say why not? I don't see any downside to taking French your senior year as long as you keep up with Spanish. Why everyone is so cynical about taking another language is beyond me. There really aren't many better things you could be doing with your time in senior year than learning another language. Plus, when you go to France you can chat up hot chicks!

I took French in high school, and then tried to learn Spanish in med school. It was a difficult endeavor, and I kept mixing up pronunciations and words between the two languages. If you're only going to take a year of it, it might not be worth the effort. But, it's also up to you how fluent you get during that time.