Should I bother with a retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaraS

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a strong application besides my MCAT, I have been scoring around 508-510 but got a 504 on my first one. My score was uneven before and now its pretty even but is it even worth it for that little of an increase? I was really hoping to do better but the MCAT testing season is about to end & I wanted it to be apart of my reapplications, but also don't want to waste a re-take in case my life takes a really depressing turn and I don't get in again. That way I will allocate time specifically to MCAT once and for all because I've always studied for it while doing other time consuming things.

Members don't see this ad.

Where is your state of residence? Are you URM? What is your sGPA and cGPA? Do you have any clinical volunteering or shadowing hours?

Im CA about ~3.5, sGPA 3.4 from a top ten, gGPA 4.0 top five, very disadvantaged background in addition to significant disadvantage that occurred to me and brought my grades down for first year, around 1500 hours of clinical with a lot of shadowing interspersed throughout it and in many different specialities including with internists, and a lot of research. I got a UCLA interview last year but didn't make it in because of my academic profile so obviously worried about my MCAT. I started out with a low uGPA and brought it up but have a good reason so pretty sure my uGPA is not holding me back, but I think paired with a not so hot mcat it really makes schools question if I am worth the risk. I pursued my grad. degree out of desire in research, not to bring up my uGPA obviously, and I actually think that worked out in my favor in applications because it is something I am passionate about and it comes through in my secondaries. Additionally, I think my disadvantaged background provides a compelling life story that I have shared in my application essays.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your chances for MD schools are low with your MCAT and GPA (<30%). You are competitive for most DO schools so if you apply to at least 12 schools you should receive several interviews.When are you planning to apply?

I already applied for 2018. Do you mean 12 D.O. schools? I know I want to be an MD at this point, I don't see anything wrong with going the DO route but their values truly don't align with my goals. So would it be helpful to take an MCAT with with a 4-6 point increase?

Yes, 12 DO schools. Where did you apply this cycle? An increased MCAT to the 510 range would help you but even with a 510 your chances for a MD acceptance are only 50%.

I applied to so many schools (30+) at all levels... one more question, I took the MCAT when I was a sophomore and got a 22... i was being immature and irresponsible/didn't prepare at all really and my 504 was from last year. My 22 was back in 2010 or 2011, so if I take the MCAT again, do you think schools will look at that as my 3rd attempt or my 2nd, since it was so long ago and doesn't even count for any of the schools because it was more than 3 years ago, however, I know they can still see it.

Thank you for your insight, I appreciate it!

I see you have two options 1) shell out a lot of money to submit to a lot of places and/or 2) retake the MCAT but really change up your strategy

I already applied for 2018. Do you mean 12 D.O. schools? I know I want to be an MD at this point, I don't see anything wrong with going the DO route but their values truly don't align with my goals. So would it be helpful to take an MCAT with with a 4-6 point increase?
Beggars can't be choosy. If you're boning for the MD, then I suggest a retake, because you're close to the 10th %iles for tons of schools, especially in CA.

Reactions: 1 users
If you want MD then retake. Most people at my school (do school) did better than 504. Otherwise apply DO since shots are slim.

I have a strong application besides my MCAT, I have been scoring around 508-510 but got a 504 on my first one. My score was uneven before and now its pretty even but is it even worth it for that little of an increase? I was really hoping to do better but the MCAT testing season is about to end & I wanted it to be apart of my reapplications, but also don't want to waste a re-take in case my life takes a really depressing turn and I don't get in again. That way I will allocate time specifically to MCAT once and for all because I've always studied for it while doing other time consuming things.

Did you apply previously with your 504? what was your score breakdown? And you said your MCAT now was even right...does that mean you retook it a second time already?

I know I want to be an MD at this point, I don't see anything wrong with going the DO route but their values truly don't align with my goals. So would it be helpful to take an MCAT with with a 4-6 point increase?

What does that even mean? The tenets of osteopathic medicine are basically to consider the whole individual when determining treatment. That doesn't align with your goals? Sounds like you just want MD for MD reasons, which is fine, most people do. In your case, though.. 3.5/504 is not even a 'strong' applicant for DO schools, let alone MD schools, so I would lose that attitude unless you're willing to retake the MCAT and significantly improve.

Reactions: 2 users
I echo Goro. Getting in with those stats isn't impossible but it's a long shot. Improve your MCAT.