Should I bother with upper level sciences? Transfer Student 4yr to 4 yr

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Derpz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any need for me to take upper level science classes at my new school? I'm a social science major and just moved from an avg. state Uni to a top 10 ranked place this past fall. I did all my BCP required classes last year before transferring (1sr 2 yr gpa's of: sGPA 3.98 cGPA 3.99). I've got MCAT prep this spring and want to focus on that, my EC's are all in line, and so I'd only be taking a science to show I can pull A's in sciences here at the more prestigious place. I'm aiming for acceptance to top 20's so don't want to shoot myself in the foot by not doing any science here; i'm just not sure how essential it is a non-science major. It's clear the workload difference in science vs. humanities/social sci classes is huge. I got a 3.8 last term which is a drop but seems plenty good enough...am I worrying about nothing? Just take the easier classes and focus on crushing the MCAT? I'll be applying this spring and plan to take biochem and biostats senior yr.

Members don't see this ad.

The only reason I can see to take additional BCP courses is to get a LOR from your new school's science professors. I don't know if they offer a committee letter, but that might help if they do.

Reactions: 1 user
I got a 3.8 last term which is a drop but seems plenty good enough...am I worrying about nothing? Just take the easier classes and focus on crushing the MCAT? I'll be applying this spring and plan to take biochem and biostats senior yr.

Crush the mcat and it wont matter. Dont crush the mcat and THEN you can start worrying :p

thanks for the advice...no committee and glowing rec's from former science profs. I'll be getting a humanities rec from here that's more in line w/my major. Appreciate the followup will put 90% of my energy into MCAT this spring!