Should I bother?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rasajdak

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I bother apply to the four SUNY schools? I'm a NYS resident with a 3.1 gpa. I have yet to take the MCAT (June 15). Is there a certain GPA cutoff? I'm going to apply to mostly osteopathic schools, but the SUNY schools (specifically Buffalo) seem so much more convenient. I guess I'm hoping that being a resident and attending undergrad at a SUNY school would help my case. Any suggestions whatsoever would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan

Members don't see this ad.

What is the avg gpa at each SUNY school? What is the avg MCAT?

Find each school's LizzyM score. Multiply the school's avg gpa by 10. Add the avg MCAT. Subtract 1.
Fill in the blanks with each school's LizzyM score
Stonybrook:
Downstate:
Syracuse:
Buffalo:

Now wait for your MCAT scores.

Take your gpa times 10 (31) and add your MCAT. This is your Lizzy score. Compare to the LizzyM scroes. If your Lizzy score equals or exceeds the school's LizzyM score, then you have a 50-50 shot there. If it is less than the school's score, you will have a more difficult time getting an interview. (exceptions being made, perhaps, for 3rd generation legacies with 4 publications and a LOR from Paul Farmer.)

Hello,
My friend got an interview at NYMC (which granted is not SUNY, but still) with a 3.1 GPA and a 35 MCAT and she is international.
My advice: apply away, you never know. This process is insanely random.

Members don't see this ad :)
Repost from the DO form:

-----
So...

I'm taking the MCAT June 15th. If I submit the AMCAS before I get the results, will everything be automatically submitted as the MCAT scores come in? I only ask because I'm going to be gone from July 8th to August 10th and will not have any sort of email/telephone access, only snail mail. I would like to get everything complete before I leave, and I just wanted to know if this is possible, or if there is anything else I should be concerned with. IE if I don't return something on time, or get back to someone on time because I'm going to be away.

Thanks in advance,
Ryan
-----

Hello,
My friend got an interview at NYMC (which granted is not SUNY, but still) with a 3.1 GPA and a 35 MCAT and she is international.
My advice: apply away, you never know. This process is insanely random.

There's no doubt that the 3.1 will hurt you, I don't know how much being an in-state resident will help, but I do believe the SUNYs do take that into consideration. If you're going to get an allo acceptance, I think that's your best bet. I've taken bigger long shots...

Find each school's LizzyM score. Multiply the school's avg gpa by 10. Add the avg MCAT. Subtract 1.
Stonybrook:
Downstate:
Syracuse:
Buffalo:

Take your gpa times 10 (31) and add your MCAT. This is your Lizzy score. Compare to the LizzyM scroes. If your Lizzy score equals or exceeds the school's LizzyM score, then you have a 50-50 shot there. If it is less than the school's score, you will have a more difficult time getting an interview. (exceptions being made, perhaps, for 3rd generation legacies with 4 publications and a LOR from Paul Farmer.)

Where can you find the average GPA/MCAT?

The MSAR was released last week, I think? It has all the stats that you need. But you might as well apply. Your GPA is low, so make sure to ace the MCAT. Do you have any other qualifications (i.e., research, clinical experience, find the cure for cancer)?

Repost from the DO form:

-----
So...

I'm taking the MCAT June 15th. If I submit the AMCAS before I get the results, will everything be automatically submitted as the MCAT scores come in? I only ask because I'm going to be gone from July 8th to August 10th and will not have any sort of email/telephone access, only snail mail. I would like to get everything complete before I leave, and I just wanted to know if this is possible, or if there is anything else I should be concerned with. IE if I don't return something on time, or get back to someone on time because I'm going to be away.

Thanks in advance,
Ryan
-----

If you have your transcripts in and everything else all set, once your MCAT scores come in, AMCAS will be all set. AACOMAS will not. You have to manually submit your MCAT scores to AACOMAS.

The MSAR was released last week, I think? It has all the stats that you need. But you might as well apply. Your GPA is low, so make sure to ace the MCAT. Do you have any other qualifications (i.e., research, clinical experience, find the cure for cancer)?

I have very little volunteer experience, more to come this summer. Also, I'm in the National Guard, does that help? It's an Air Ambulance unit. I also work 20-30 hours a week so between NG, ROTC (20+ hours a week), and work I don't have a lot of free time.

I have very little volunteer experience, more to come this summer. Also, I'm in the National Guard, does that help? It's an Air Ambulance unit. I also work 20-30 hours a week so between NG, ROTC (20+ hours a week), and work I don't have a lot of free time.

Yeah, I think the Air Ambulance unit will work in your favor. And your work experience will also be noted.

Stonybrook:
Downstate:
Syracuse:
Buffalo:

When you say "ave. MCAT," do you mean per section or total?