Should I bother?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ubu

Always hungry...
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just need a simple "yes" or "no" answer.
Should I apply this summer?

CA resident.
undergrad: 2.0 science, 2.67 overall
did one year of grad school (did not finish): 3.75 GPA
transferred to better grad school (will finish by fall 2004): 4.0 GPA
1 year clinical experience
4 year research experience
no papers out, but hope to have one out by summer as lead author

1st MCAT score expired
2nd MCAT score 8,9,11,P
will retake MCAT in April 2003.

Thanks for any responses! :D

Members don't see this ad.

hell ya, if its what you wanna do then go for it, so it may take a couple cycles, if its what you wanna do then never give up, your stats arent bad at all with that kikass 4.0 grad.. good luck!

YES,

BUT make sure that when you retake the MCAT, you bump your scores up.

Members don't see this ad :)
You mentioned that you will finish your grad work FALL 2004. That may conflict with the start of med schools' FALL 2004 semester, which wouldn't be good.

I'm pretty sure that med school's want you to be finished with all degress in progress before their semester begins. So, until you can get this cleared up, I would say:

"NO, don't apply this summer." Sorry.

The OP said by Fall, not in Fall.

As to the original question, my advice would be to contact the schools you are interested in, explain your situation, and see what they recommend.

My gut response: Yes, go ahead and apply. Just be sure to do well on the MCAT (as already recommended) and get everything in early.

It'll be a stretch. Where are you willing to go?

Yes. You should apply. You can always apply again next year. At least you will know! Good luck...

PS- I'm taking the MCAT this April and applying this summer as well. GOOD LUCK!!

Yay! You guys are the best. :D Thanks for the support.
Not sure where I'm applying yet, but will probably apply to many many as I can afford.

i agree with the others that you should apply, but in all honesty you REALLY need to get your MCAT score up. if you do not, i think you should definitely consider DO schools (if that suits you) if you want to improve your chances. as a cali resident your chances are not very good at all with those numbers. sorry to be so negative, but i think the other posters were a little too encouraging. your low ugrad gpa will probably not be overlooked even witih a high grad gpa.