Should I bring my car up to SF?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

juan7677

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just want feedback from current or former students from SF about this situation. I'm gonna start dental school at UOP in July and I am currently debating whether or not I should. I kinda want to but I'm not sure.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm debating the same thing. But all things considered, I will bring it anyway just in case.....even if I don't ever use it. Anyone going to school in SF have any opinions on this?

I would say yes, I lived in SF for 2 years and the MUNI system is adequate, although nothing special. You CAN get anywhere in the city by bus, lightrail, bike. however, if you want to get there in less than 2 hours you should take a car. I would say, IF you have a parking spot at your house/apartment take your car for sure. You by no means NEED a car though. Get a Segway

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm bringing mine. Some of the apartments I've looked into charge an extra 100-200$ a month for a parking spot, but then again some don't....However with no pub. trans to Lake Tahoe it becomes a necessity!! See you in July

I would bring a car. The city is def. not like driving in NYC.
There is parking if you look around and the traffic isn't too bad.
It's also nice to get out of the city once in a while and a car comes in handy. Bring your car!

Just leave some rooms in your budget for parking tickets. I guarantee that you'll get at least one before you head home for xmas.

I say that you shouldn't bring your car to SF. It is a lot easier to ride muni, you can get ANYWHERE you need to go on muni. You will hate having a car as soon as you try to find parking for the first time.

I would say YES! Public transportation is OK for getting around the city, but when you wanna drive OUT of the city ya NEED a car. Street parking is definitely difficult but you get used to it and you get really good at parallel parking. Also if you get into UOP housing, then you can get a parking spot for about 100 bucks based on a lottery system. I know someone who lives near UOP housing and has NO problem with parking out in the street. I live in the richmond district and I park on the street with no problem. Remembering to move your car when it's street cleaning is somewhat of a problem. So I must admit that I have gotten two parking tickets in the past 6 months. Anyways, good luck.

Not unless you want to pay 3 bucks a gallon for gas!:eek: