1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Should I bring up the fact I was declined admission 3x in the past?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Lacipart, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Lacipart

Lacipart M1 at UW-Madison
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm a reapplicant, 4th year applying, my GPA is low (3.3) but my MCAT and extracurriculars are solid.

I got interviews last year (my 3rd year applying) but sadly I got still got denials across the board. Anyway, I am finishing up my last secondaries and I never know if I should mention this is my fourth year applying.

I think people usually advise me "it doesn't matter, the school already knows". But this isn't really true since last year I never mentioned my denials and in all my interviews the interviewers all thought I was a 1st time applicant:confused:. I mean, I know the adcom will know regardless of what I write in my essays, but I'm wondering if I should mention it so my interviewers know.

Anyway, I usually slip in "i was denied in the past" but I never mention how I was denied three times. I would think I shouldn't bring it up since its kinda showing that three years worth of adcoms denied me, but maybe I should bring it up to show my dedication?

I'm just not sure. You guys have any thoughts?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. StephanieZ

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I have asked this question before and got mixed reviews. Some people told me that being a reapplicant absolutely puts you at a disadvantage as opposed to first time applicants. Others told me it doesn't matter, and still others have said that being a reapplicant is a good thing, because it shows you are truly dedicated. Whatever responses you get, I would take them with a grain of salt, unless they come from Adcoms *puts out the LizzyM bat signal*

4. Floyd G

Pre-Medical

posts like this give me anxiety-induced diarrhea.

5. Lacipart

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    It's not all bad. Since my rejections I worked in research for a year and then spent 2 years getting a Masters Degree. If I got accepted right away I would never have had those experiences or learned what I did. Always have a back up plan.

...but yea, I would very much like to be accepted after all these years:(

6. NickNaylor

NickNaylor Thank You for Smoking
    Physician Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Why would you bring it up? In what context?

I could understand if you answered a question that required you to disclose this information, but I'm not sure why you would voluntarily share it.

7. aSagacious

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I would mention that you are a reapplicant, but leave out the 3x detail. Otherwise if I were an AdCom member (which I am not :p) the first thought that would cross my mind is "why didn't Lacipart fix what was wrong with his/her application after the first unsuccessful application cycle (or second, or third) before reapplying?" It would make me think that you were just playing your odds rather than addressing your apparent deficiencies. That's just my two cents.

8. Lacipart

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Well I'm writing my secondaries to a school I applied to in the past and I was going to toss in the line [sic] 'I have faced rejection in the past but I have never given up on my goals'. I'm probably not going to go into it more then that, but a part of me wanted to change that to "i have faced rejection three times" but then I realized that made me sound and come across as kinda pathetic:laugh:

9. Floyd G

Pre-Medical
    well i give you a lot of credit, and good luck!

10. vc7777

vc7777 Nontrad MD/MS Resident
    Rocket Scientist Physician Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    In total, how many rejections after interviewing have you received?

Also, have you contacted those programs and asked for honest feedback? What are you doing to address these issues they (the adcoms) had with your previous 3 applications?

If you do decide to mention it, which I am not saying you should, I hope that you explain what you have worked on changing since those rejections. Talking about how you have been self-reflective and honest with your shortcomings is probably a vastly better tactic than simply portraying your four tries as a sign of determination.

Good luck

11. JESSFALLING

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    What's your MCAT score? If it's not >33-35 then it is probably too low to offset your lower GPA for MD school admissions. (This doesn't explain your interviews, though; perhaps there is something else that is holding you back?? Or, perhaps, they just decided to go with someone with less marginal stats?)

If you haven't considered it already, you should really consider applying to DO schools. Even if aiming for DO, you should also consider raising your GPA to >3.5 via grade replacement. (Grade replacement is the beauty of DO admissions.)

If you insist on applying MD only (why would you at this point?) then you really need to raise your cum and sci GPA to >3.4 and make sure your MCAT is >33-34 and make sure that you keep your ECs current and make sure that you address any of the adcom's previous concerns. (Sorry for the run-on sentence)

#10 JESSFALLING, Aug 20, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  12. drdan83

Removed

Other Health Professions Student
    The question is why are you getting denied?

What is wrong with your application?

I'm interested in knowing.

13. FunnyCurrent

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Are you fishing for a pity acceptance? I don't think that will work

14. LizzyM

LizzyM the evil queen of numbers
    Faculty SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    How has your application changed since your last application? That is key. If you haven't changed things, you can't expect a different outcome this time. Changing things includes your interview techniques if you were denied post-interview.

15. Person0715

Person0715 Socially awkward
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Personally, I would probably mention being a reapplicant in passing, but I see no reason to highlight the fact that your were denied for 3 application cycles.

16. Morsetlis

Morsetlis I wish I were a dentist
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    First impression is key in interview. They may find out everything later in the adcom but don't volunteer the information unless asked for...

17. Lacipart

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thanks for the reply LizzyM, most appreciated.

Since many others are asking I will go into more details.
    GPA 3.3
    MCAT 35
    600+ hours volunteering in hospital, also lots of stuff with the Red Cross, shadowing, worked 2 years in research, and just got my Masters.

I did call places where I got denied and most of time they tell me my LORs and extracurriculars are fine, I just had a "lower GPA and this was a very competitive year". I gotta laugh at that latter part. Funny how they say that strangely its a very competitive year... for the past four years in a row, hehe.

My grad school GPA is a bit better, and that's probably why I got my first interviews (and two of them) last year. One of the interviews, my first one, I honestly could have done better. I did some preparing but not nearly enough and I got boxed into giving some really silly replies to their main question they asked. I'm trying to forget that catastrophic failure of an interview I gave but I think at one part they asked how my patients would view me and I said "I might seem cold". I really don't know where I was going with that, I think I was going to tell a story on how I changed but I just sort of stopped and that was that. It was pretty much the worst possible interview I could have done, lets just leave it at that.

ANYWAY, I then super, super prepared for the second, and final interview. I spent dozens of hours doing mock interviews with my family and such. I got to the interview day... and my interviewee had called in sick so I had a last minute replacement that had never done an interview before. He pretty much talked about how great the school was the entire time and not once asked about me. He seemed super friendly so I mostly smiled and nodded as he went on and on. I don't know I really should have tried to bring the conversation back around to focus on me but it was just such a bizarre "interview" that I didn't know what to do.

I'm not blaming others for my bad interviews, I'm just saying I know both my interviews were not the best.

Anyway, I am applying for DO schools this fall as well, as someone asked. Originally I was going to just apply for DO since I failed at MD apps 3 years running, but whats the harm in trying one last year eh?

Part of me is envious of those that get declined for obvious reasons. No shadowing experience. Needs more volunteering. Low MCAT. These are things you can definitively fix in one year. "Your undergrad GPA is low" is entirely my fault but I really can't change that by next admission cycle when I graduated back in 2009 :|

#16 Lacipart, Aug 20, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  18. isoquin

isoquin Allopathetic
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I would not bring it up just for the sake of bringing it up. You can use it as a springboard to highlight how you've grown since those previous rejections, which is vitally important. You want to paint the picture that you have succeeded in your (graduate?) education and now possess the academic rigor needed to embark on a career in medicine. This needs to be your central point without ever saying it. But... perhaps to take a step back, you need to have done something to prove that before you can tell anyone.

Also, ensure your applications are in at the very earliest possible date. A friend of mine applied several times in October every year, with predictably poor outcomes...

19. CodeBlu

CodeBlu Dream Weaver
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    This logic is sound. Sometimes you just don't get lucky. And you get put into waitlist limbo.

But if I were you... 3 years is a lot of time to re-invest into repairing that 3.3 into a 3.5-3.6 which would make you much more competitive.

20. Sesom

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Your GPA is too low. The president of my state med school said their application system disregards a GPA lower then 3.5 automatically.I think that GPA is dragging you down, although I don't know everything about you.

21. R4lst0nya

What was your MS GPA, if you don't mind me asking? And does anyone know if they put more emphasis on undergrad GPA or grad GPA?

22. aSagacious

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Undergrad, by a lot.

23. BrightandClear

MD/PhD Student
    How much is a "bit"? I might be concerned if your grad GPA isn't significantly better.

If you're re-applying to the same schools that told you your low GPA was a problem, I would definitely acknowledge that in your secondaries and craft an argument to detail what you've done to address it, what you've learned, and how that will help you succeed. Basically, "yes, my GPA does suck, but here is what I learned from that, here is why that has made me awesome, and in sum all of this is why you should accept me" in prettier language. That was the advice I got from one adcom ... YMMV

24. MedAdComMD

Removed 2+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    With a high MCAT like yours, I would tempted to say something in your application is weak. GPA of 3.3 is below average, but not low enough to prevent interviews (you only had 2) coupled with a high MCAT.