Should I cancel and do it all over again next summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lavoie1234

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just took AAMC FL2 (125/124/126/125) 500 total. cGPA: 3.73. sGPA:3.6.

I am scheduled to write on Aug 31st, I was wondering what I should do (I have until the 23rd to cancel it). Should I take it and void? Or just cancel now? Or see how much more I can improve in the next week.

Members don't see this ad.

Assuming you had no major distractions during your practice test, I'd say this score is pretty predictive of your real one.

If your goal score is 505-508, cram this week and take FL3 by the 23rd to see where you are.

If goal score is over 508, I'd go ahead and cancel now. Too risky to take the test in 2 weeks.

Reactions: 1 users
Assuming you had no major distractions during your practice test, I'd say this score is pretty predictive of your real one.

If your goal score is 505-508, cram this week and take FL3 by the 23rd to see where you are.

If goal score is over 508, I'd go ahead and cancel now. Too risky to take the test in 2 weeks.
What I am going to do as of now is (like you said), go over FL2 and grind on the SB and QPack for the next week (finish them up) and then take FL3 and if I am not above a 505 on it I will cancel the exam instead of taking it and voiding (I don't know if medical schools can see this).

What I am going to do as of now is (like you said), go over FL2 and grind on the SB and QPack for the next week (finish them up) and then take FL3 and if I am not above a 505 on it I will cancel the exam instead of taking it and voiding (I don't know if medical schools can see this).
Medical schools won't see if you canceled or voided your exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
Medical schools won't see if you canceled or voided your exam.
The thing is I don't see any point of taking it and voiding. The next time I would study for it is next summer so taking it and voiding would just be a nuisance. I am already familiar with the testing environment for I have taken my EMT exam there.

The thing is I don't see any point of taking it and voiding. The next time I would study for it is next summer so taking it and voiding would just be a nuisance. I am already familiar with the testing environment for I have taken my EMT exam there.
Yeah, worst case scenario you should just cancel it. I was just addressing to the last part about you not knowing if schools can see it or not.

Reactions: 1 user

Took AAMC FL3 today, scored a 503 (125/124/126/128).. I really don't know if I should reschedule.

the way I see it is you paid $300. at least go and see the questions you paid for...

Reactions: 1 users
The thing is I would rather pay $300 for nothing than $300 for something that can hurt my app
Gaining the experience of the exam/setting and voiding is better than just simply throwing away money and gaining nothing out of it...

Reactions: 3 users
I was suggesting that you take it and void. Which wouldn’t hurt your application.

Just took AAMC FL2 (125/124/126/125) 500 total. cGPA: 3.73. sGPA:3.6.

I am scheduled to write on Aug 31st, I was wondering what I should do (I have until the 23rd to cancel it). Should I take it and void? Or just cancel now? Or see how much more I can improve in the next week.

I was getting 500 range MCATs on the Altius practice tests and ended up canceling my November test. I reviewed hard and studied like crazy for a May test (6 months later). I upped my Altius scores to the 510 range and scored a 514 and 510 on the AAMC tests. I ended up with a 512 and cancelling that November test was the best decision I've ever made. If you don't feel confident and ready I would cancel. Voiding would be crazy, you would have to live the rest of your life not knowing what you got, that would drive me nuts.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was getting 500 range MCATs on the Altius practice tests and ended up canceling my November test. I reviewed hard and studied like crazy for a May test (6 months later). I upped my Altius scores to the 510 range and scored a 514 and 510 on the AAMC tests. I ended up with a 512 and cancelling that November test was the best decision I've ever made. If you don't feel confident and ready I would cancel. Voiding would be crazy, you would have to live the rest of your life not knowing what you got, that would drive me nuts.
The thing is, if I cancel now.. I would be taking at the end of next summer. after studying next summer I would be taking it next

I am going in to my senior year next year with lots of higher lever courses to graduate, so I will not be studying for the MCAT during the school year. I would have to restart studying next summer (I would have more time for studying for the MCAT and fine tuning my faults) but then again that's a full year from now

Gaining the experience of the exam/setting and voiding is better than just simply throwing away money and gaining nothing out of it...
The thing is I took me EMT exam in the same exact place that I am supposed to take the MCAT. I already know what to expect with the setting

I am going in to my senior year next year with lots of higher lever courses to graduate, so I will not be studying for the MCAT during the school year. I would have to restart studying next summer (I would have more time for studying for the MCAT and fine tuning my faults) but then again that's a full year from now

Hmmmm thats tough. My only advice would be if you are happy with a 500 then take it, but if you are getting in that range on practice tests, that is close to what you will get on the real test. You will not magically score higher just because it is the real deal. I would wait until you are getting the scores you want on practice tests. If that means taking a gap year I think its worth it, but in the end it is your decision.

When did they have tests in November?

The NREMT exam is 2 hours max and it's not a career stakes exam. MCAT is a full day affair and can potentially decide what profession you'll be in for the rest of your life. I recommend taking it and voiding to gain the experience. I voided in January and scored my exam in May. It gives you good practice and allows you to embrace test day technicalities and anything else that may arise unexpectedly. Schools won't see the void. Consider it a $340 AAMC #4

Reactions: 4 users
The MCAT is nothing like the NREMT exam (or the NREMT-P, PTCB, or any other standardized exam I have taken at Prometric/Pearson).

Oh, and the MCAT won't "cut off" once you've screwed up enough or answered enough questions to show "competency."

Reactions: 2 users

Oh, and the MCAT won't "cut off" once you've screwed up enough or answered enough questions to show "competency."

upload_2018-8-22_12-21-27.png

Be a lot cooler if it did.

Reactions: 2 users
Hmmmm thats tough. My only advice would be if you are happy with a 500 then take it, but if you are getting in that range on practice tests, that is close to what you will get on the real test. You will not magically score higher just because it is the real deal. I would wait until you are getting the scores you want on practice tests. If that means taking a gap year I think its worth it, but in the end it is your decision.
Do you think if I do cancel and start studying again next summer, the studying will be less intense because I already have a good base of info for MCAT from studying this summer?

Do you think if I do cancel and start studying again next summer, the studying will be less intense because I already have a good base of info for MCAT from studying this summer?

It might give you a little bit of an advantage, but I will still expect you'd need intense study to get a high score. If you could squeeze 10-15 MCAT study hours a week and a few practice test in throughout your semester you'd be in better shape. Thats what I was able to do and it was the key for me. 4 months of light study and then 2 months of intense 8-10 hour days of study.