Should I cancel my test?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

benign1444

Reaction score
I'd like to preface that I'm a complete ***** and I honestly feel bad that I'm bringing up such a personal problem that probably won't apply to anyone else as well as not being constructive in any manner...

Anyways through a series of very poor decisions I'm in a situation where my exam is in 5 days and I essentially did no prep. As in the only content review I did was psychology maybe 3 months ago and I've basically forgotten it all anyways. Call it no motivation, immaturity, laziness, whatever I fully accept responsibility that I completely failed and speaks volumes about my ability for goal setting and this is probability indicative that I'm not cut out for this pursuit.

I know by now its too late to get a refund for my fee; I just want to know whether or not its a good idea to take the test anyways, even though its a certainty that I will score very low. I fully recognize that it is really pathetic and quite honestly disrespectful to other students who worked very hard in the last couple of months for a serious moment in their academic career. However, I did pay the 350~ for the test and I wish to get something out of it at least, especially since I want to retry next year. And uh I guess since the test is standardized my low score will bring up others, even though the change is probably negligible ha.

I just want to know whether or not getting a very low score (emphasis on the very low part) in all sections for your first MCAT will compromise your future scores and medical school applications, regardless of how high they are or how much of an improvement they are.

Honestly I don't know whether or not this sets off any red flags and I'm still undecided as to what the heck I'm doing with my life. But I've already closed the door to many opportunities and made a lot of crappy decisions in education already (would've thought I would have learned after 2 years of subpar university performance) and I just really want to avoid another soul crushing mistake.

I apologize in advance if this sort of topic isn't respected in these forums and for bringing up such a laughable predicament.

Members don't see this ad.

Low MCAT score stays with you for the rest of your life. Even though scores can be "no longer valid" after 3, 4, or 5 years (depends on the school), the score will always be released to schools. I learned this the hard way and had to wait nearly 4 years for a retake to show that I was a more mature student who could make better decisions before sitting for high stakes exams.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree you shouldn't take the exam, but beyond that, I'd also suggest re-thinking your ambitions to be a doctor. All students who are passionate about becoming a physician and succeed in getting into medical school don't lack the motivation and maturity to study for the MCAT as you put it. If pursuing medicine is the right choice for you, you won't have such severe doubts and lapses in judgement like this.

It's never too late to change your life's direction! Take some classes in different fields that interest you, look for internships in careers that might potentially captivate you. Don't be afraid of taking a gap year or even several to figure out what makes you happy! But as it stands right now, I'd highly highly discourage you from pursuing medicine. It's an intense, cutthroat discipline in which only the most dedicated, hardworking, and diligent come out on top. There are dozens of other fields that would probably better suit you and make you feel fulfilled in life.

Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Even though scores can be "no longer valid" after 3, 4, or 5 years (depends on the school), the score will always be released to schools.

I did a bit of looking around on the internet prior to posting and I'm unsure whether or not these sources are biased or sensationalized but they seem paint a picture that seeing 'improvement' can be a plus to your application? Does your personal experience/knowledge suggest otherwise? I recognize cases vary depending on the details and in my case I pretty much have nothing to my name. I guess bombing the first exam does paint a bad picture. Just to be clear, you suggest canceling as a bad score is more detrimental than a possible perceived 'improvement'?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd like to preface that I'm a complete ***** and I honestly feel bad that I'm bringing up such a personal problem that probably won't apply to anyone else as well as not being constructive in any manner...

Anyways through a series of very poor decisions I'm in a situation where my exam is in 5 days and I essentially did no prep. As in the only content review I did was psychology maybe 3 months ago and I've basically forgotten it all anyways. Call it no motivation, immaturity, laziness, whatever I fully accept responsibility that I completely failed and speaks volumes about my ability for goal setting and this is probability indicative that I'm not cut out for this pursuit.

I know by now its too late to get a refund for my fee; I just want to know whether or not its a good idea to take the test anyways, even though its a certainty that I will score very low. I fully recognize that it is really pathetic and quite honestly disrespectful to other students who worked very hard in the last couple of months for a serious moment in their academic career. However, I did pay the 350~ for the test and I wish to get something out of it at least, especially since I want to retry next year. And uh I guess since the test is standardized my low score will bring up others, even though the change is probably negligible ha.

I just want to know whether or not getting a very low score (emphasis on the very low part) in all sections for your first MCAT will compromise your future scores and medical school applications, regardless of how high they are or how much of an improvement they are.

Honestly I don't know whether or not this sets off any red flags and I'm still undecided as to what the heck I'm doing with my life. But I've already closed the door to many opportunities and made a lot of crappy decisions in education already (would've thought I would have learned after 2 years of subpar university performance) and I just really want to avoid another soul crushing mistake.

I apologize in advance if this sort of topic isn't respected in these forums and for bringing up such a laughable predicament.
I feel as if you have learned from your mistake and genuinely feel bad for it. If being a doc wasn't cut out for you then you wouldn't be caring so much. I had to take the MCAT 3x because I wasn't mature enough the first two times I took it. Being a perfect pre-med means nothing, honestly. Just because some students did everything correct the first time does not mean they will make any better of a doctor than someone that takes a different route. I say to take the exam since you already paid for it but void it. Learn from your mistakes and come back stronger. If you truly want to be a doc, then grind for it. There is no better time than the present to start actively changing your approach to education and the MCAT. If you don't want to be a doc, then find another profession. If you do (which it sounds like you do) just know it is not too late to re-invent yourself. Good luck ~

I'd also suggest re-thinking your ambitions to be a doctor.

Thank you for this. I have my own serious misgivings as well and am actively looking towards other possible career paths. I just wanted to err on the side of caution to make sure I'm not doing something that I'll regret down the line. I apologize again if my attitude was disrespectful towards others who have a passionate and active approach towards their ambitions.

Thank you for this. I have my own serious misgivings as well and am actively looking towards other possible career paths. I just wanted to err on the side of caution to make sure I'm not doing something that I'll regret down the line. I apologize again if my attitude was disrespectful towards others who have a passionate and active approach towards their ambitions.

I don't think your attitude was disrespectful at all!

And if later in life you change your mind and decide to pursue medicine again, it's never too late! There are most certainly people in medical school well into their 30s who have tried several other careers already! As it stands right now though, it seems like medicine isn't the best fit for you. There is absolutely no shame in testing out other careers if you think they might be better suited for you.

I say to take the exam since you already paid for it but void it.

I was unaware this was even an option; this is pretty much exactly what I need in my situation I think. To clarify, the end of the exam has a prompt giving you the choice to void the exam if you wish? Goes to show how woefully inadequate my preparation for the exam was. Thank you!

I was unaware this was even an option; this is pretty much exactly what I need in my situation I think. To clarify, the end of the exam has a prompt giving you the choice to void the exam if you wish? Goes to show how woefully inadequate my preparation for the exam was. Thank you!
Yes, at the end of the exam you will have the option the either have you exam scored or voided. According to AAMC's MCAT FAQ page: "Medical schools do not have any record of exams which you chose to void or no-show, nor do they have the ability to access a system that shows them whether you voided or no-showed. Only you will have a record of these exams through the MCAT Score Reporting System. Medical schools only have access to the exams you chose to score. Remember, voids and no-shows count as an attempt toward your testing limits."

Yes, at the end of the exam you will have the option the either have you exam scored or voided. According to the AAMC's MCAT FAQ page: "Medical schools do not have any record of exams which you chose to void or no-show, nor do they have the ability to access a system that shows them whether you voided or no-showed. Only you will have a record of these exams through the MCAT Score Reporting System. Medical schools only have access to the exams you chose to score. Remember, voids and no-shows count as an attempt toward your testing limits."

Everything that he said ^^^ :claps: