Should I cancel this interview??!?!?!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

melimi

ok, I got accepted to BU and am VERY xcited, seeing as how I really want to stay in Boston for med school. So I proceeded to cancel my interviews w/ Drexel and VCUM, but I still have an interview scheduled w/ NW next friday. Since its a great school, I dont want to pass it up. But personally, I really want to stay in Boston. Should I spend the time and money to go interview, even tho theres a probability that I wont want to go there????????

Members don't see this ad.

If I were you, I would go. That way, you won't end up wondering "what if"...
Congrats on your acceptance!

melimi said:
ok, I got accepted to BU and am VERY xcited, seeing as how I really want to stay in Boston for med school. So I proceeded to cancel my interviews w/ Drexel and VCUM, but I still have an interview scheduled w/ NW next friday. Since its a great school, I dont want to pass it up. But personally, I really want to stay in Boston. Should I spend the time and money to go interview, even tho theres a probability that I wont want to go there????????

thank you from the bottom of my heart for canceling with drexel. as for NW, if you have the money, do it. but if you're seriously intent on staying in boston, don't waste your time or your money...

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats on your acceptance! :) here are my 2 cents:

if there is even a possibility that you would go to NW over BU, I would go.

HOWEVER, if you think that your interview will be any less than stellar (cuz your heart is set on going to BU) than save yourself the time and money. i feel like adcoms can sense it when their interviewees are less than 100% excited about the school.

hope that helps! i know it is a hard decision and i am in a similar one myself, its hard to say no when you know the interview is at a good school!!!

yeah, that all makes sense. the problem is that i dont know if i'm gonna like it over BU or not. I've never been to Chicago, and I've never even seen pics of the school. Maybe I'll just work overtime this week and give it a shot.
Thanks to all

melimi said:
If there's not really a chance that you will attend, I wouldn't go. It's more considerate of the interviewers, the school, and other possible interview candidates if you cancel your interview.

While it might be fun to visit another school, if you can't see yourself leaving Boston, then I'd suggest you save your money and stay home.

melimi said:
yeah, that all makes sense. the problem is that i dont know if i'm gonna like it over BU or not. I've never been to Chicago, and I've never even seen pics of the school. Maybe I'll just work overtime this week and give it a shot.
Thanks to all

Congrats on BU. I would say go to NW and check it out. Like others have said, you don't want to regret and keep asking "what if." Who knows, you might end up liking Chicago or NW over BU! Just work overtime to make up for the plane ticket and the vacation days you'll need for the interview. Good luck!

the OP does have some reservations. i mean whats the harm in going to an interview. you may end up in chicago and love it. i had some doubts about some schools that i interviewed at but totally loved in the end. in addition, there were some schools that i was so excited to interview at but in the end...i didnt like as much.

I have a friend who is a MSI at NW and she absolutely loves it there. The location is great, in the middle of downtwon chicago, and lectures ends at 12 at latest everyday. I would venture to say that you should go to the interview, check out Chicago and take a mini-vacation. Can't hurt. Flying from boston to chicago doesn't take that long anyway!

K, thats it, i'm gonna go, cuz I really will be asking myself "what if" for the next 4 years if i dont. :)
Ill let u guys know if i dont like it and withdraw ;)

melimi said:
K, thats it, i'm gonna go, cuz I really will be asking myself "what if" for the next 4 years if i dont. :)
Ill let u guys know if i dont like it and withdraw ;)

Congratulations on your BU acceptance and your NW interview. Let us know how it goes! I, too, have been accepted to BU....very excited. I never filled out the secondary application for NW, but I know it is a very good school. Chicago is an awesome city. I've lived in Boston for most of my life, and love it here, but Chicago is a wonderful place to be (from what I have heard, and from visiting). Good luck to you! Karin

melimi said:

I want to thank you for cancelling Drexel as well. I say you should definitely go to NW. In the long run, the time and money are meaningless. If you go and hate the school, that's all you have lost. If you go and love the school, you have gained much, much more.