abmuk

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 11, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
Greetings,

I have nearly completed a major in Biology but have run into some serious challenges in Physics which might require a whole extra year of school just for two courses.

I am considering changing my major to STS (Science & Technology Studies) and putting my previous courses toward a Biology minor.

Will this change of major disaffect me in applying to Med school (after I graduate) even if I do well on the MCAT?

Thanks!

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Well you NEED 2 semesters of physics to get into medical school. So unless you've already finished those 2 semesters of physics and are taking some astrobiological physical science classes then no point in switching majors.
However if you have finished the 2 semesters of physics go right ahead, it shouldn't affect you at all.

Sep 4, 2006
Inside the tesseract
Unless the change means you''d be allowed to take non-Calculus-based Physics, I don't see how it helps you to change your major since a year of Physics+lab is generally a prerequisite for 99% of med schools. But if that is the case, then as Serenade says, med schools won't care.

MossPoh

Textures intrigue me
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2006
Tally/Willkillya County
psu.facebook.com
Status
Medical Student
I was an information science technology and german lit major after leaving bioengineering. I naturally took all required coursework. Most schools don't care whether physics is calc or trig based, as long as you take it with a lab. My physics 1 was calc based when I was still engineering and then years later I took a trig based physics 2 with lab. But, I really don't know what you're asking either.