Should I change my MCAT date from June 1 to June 30?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Soso694

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm supposed to be taking my MCAT a month from now (June 1), and though I've studied I don't feel I'll be ready by my date. I'm applying this cycle and my GPA is on the low side so I could really use the advantage of getting reviewed as early as possible as well as getting the highest MCAT score that I can. I know I can submit my application without my scores for verification, but would I be able to submit my secondaries (which I heard usually come out the first week of July) without my MCAT score too? If I choose the June 30 date (the only date that has seats available near me), I won't get my score until August 1st.

Members don't see this ad.

What have your practice scores looked like on AAMC material? That should tell you if you are on track rather than just feeling not ready. If you are scoring really low then change it but honestly would not advise applying without knowing what you will get.

Thanks. I'll be applying without knowing my score regardless. I know for sure by June 30, I'll be ready as ever. I just need to know if this MCAT date is too late and would cause any disadvantages to me when I apply?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've only taken one practice test and that was early in my studying (like late January). It was low but better than I thought for the first time. It would've improved vastly by now. I've also been doing good on the Exam Krackers practice questions I use to study. Just haven't finished the books and don't think I'll be able to by June 1st

Would advise on doing more timed full length practice tests before your date. Examkrackers has some really good full length ones. Well if you're set on applying no matter what then it isn't too late. I think the last date is in September that you can take the test. You're only disadvantage is that you don't know what your score is and therefore will not know for sure which schools to strategically apply to. You could do as some others have done and apply to one school (state school), get verified in a month, and then add the other schools after you get your score back.

I'm supposed to be taking my MCAT a month from now (June 1), and though I've studied I don't feel I'll be ready by my date. I'm applying this cycle and my GPA is on the low side so I could really use the advantage of getting reviewed as early as possible as well as getting the highest MCAT score that I can. I know I can submit my application without my scores for verification, but would I be able to submit my secondaries (which I heard usually come out the first week of July) without my MCAT score too? If I choose the June 30 date (the only date that has seats available near me), I won't get my score until August 1st.
1 practice test is not enough. You need to be over prepared to slay the MCAT with a score so adcoms can overlook low gpa. If you do poorly and are underprepared, you will do worse than apply late...you may need to apply next cycle, next year. Long story short, put all resources in your corner now and do it the right way, the first time, slow or not. Good luck!

1 practice test is not enough. You need to be over prepared to slay the MCAT with a score so adcoms can overlook low gpa. If you do poorly and are underprepared, you will do worse than apply late...you may need to apply next cycle, next year. Long story short, put all resources in your corner now and do it the right way, the first time, slow or not. Good luck!
Side note- I took the MCAT mid July and still submitted all my apps on time.

Reactions: 1 user
Side note- I took the MCAT mid July and still submitted all my apps on time.
Did you feel like you were at a disadvantage from getting your score in Mid-August?. When was your first interview?

Push it, i'm currently in a situation similar to yours (i'm set to take it May 13th, i'm likely going to take it and then void it, then take it again in June). Taking it when you know you're not ready is a recipe for disaster

If you haven't taken both AAMC full lengths, you have no business writing the real thing.

Have you done the section banks? Have you exhaustively gone over the content list?

Yes you should move it. 519 scorer and test prep company instructor here. On average, you are most likely not as prepared as you should be if you have not taken 5-8 practice full lengths.

Did you feel like you were at a disadvantage from getting your score in Mid-August?. When was your first interview?

Most secondaries don't even come out until August. So I was complete early August and received secondaries that I returned on the earliest possible day, thus leaving me complete very early at most schools.

Regardless of when you are AMCAS complete, you will get held up by the secondaries. I pre-wrote them with the help of SDN.

Earliest interview was September.

Obviously, the only disadvantage was that I could not retake the MCAT, I had to apply with it. But I didn't plan on retaking it anyway.