Should I change my state residency from AZ to CA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LeonThePro

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I’m going to preface my question with a very short stats profile for context:

School: Top 5 LAC
Major: Neuroscience
GPA: 3.60c, 3.43s**
MCAT: TBD but predicting 514-517 based on practice
Awards: Fulbright Scholar ‘17 (neuroscience research)
Other: 2+ years of neuroscience research abroad, shadowing, varsity athlete, great recs
Ethnicity: White
Age when applying: 25

**This GPA includes three summer courses outside of my LAC (Physics I and II, Biochem) and three B MINUSES in pre-reqs (gen chem I, O-chem I, cell bio)

Here’s the question:

I’m a legal Arizona resident but I recently moved to California for a job. I plan to take the MCAT this fall and apply to MD schools next summer.

By the time I apply, I’ll have lived in CA for a full year. This means that if I declare CA residency now, I’ll be considered an in-state applicant next year. This would increase my chances and lower my tuition at UC medical schools.

This could be a risky move, though, because in-state chances at U of A are generally much more favorable than in CA. Furthermore, there are only three UCs that I would prefer over U of A. My order of preferences is this:

1. UCSD
2. UCLA
3. UCSF
4. U of Arizona
5. UC Davis
6. UC Irvine

So, the question really comes down to my chances at more selective schools like UCSD and UCLA vs. at U of A.

Members don't see this ad.