Medical Should I choose Brown PLME or Columbia University?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I know that I would like to become a physician in the future and hopefully specialize. I am having a hard time deciding between Brown's Program in Liberal Medical Education (PLME) (8 year combined bachelors/MD) and Columbia University (premed). Which one should I choose. May 1 is quickly approaching, thanks!
First, which undergrad program do you like better? Second, with the Brown program, is it an early admissions track... what are the conditions for entering medical school? Did you get a scholarship to participate in the 8-year program?

Members don't see this ad.

I slightly prefer Columbia's undergrad program, but it might be harder to get a high GPA at Columbia due to grade deflation. With Brown, I am guaranteed a spot at Alpert Medical School, no MCAT, only requirement is to get a 3.0 or higher in two biology classes, and to take 2 semesters of inorganic chemistry, physics, and 1 semester or organic chemistry (these ones can be taken credit no credit). No scholarship for either.

Is it unwise to think about shooting higher for med schools and forgo a (virtually) guaranteed admission?
Not studying for an MCAT though is very appealing and should not be disregarded. It does lock you in at Alpert, but you would also avoid paying AMCAS fees (you may have to pay for just Brown, but you wouldn't have to apply to 20-30 schools). Read through the conditions carefully and figure out how much less application stress you may experience as long as you keep your GPA up.

I slightly prefer Columbia's undergrad program, but it might be harder to get a high GPA at Columbia due to grade deflation. With Brown, I am guaranteed a spot at Alpert Medical School, no MCAT, only requirement is to get a 3.0 or higher in two biology classes, and to take 2 semesters of inorganic chemistry, physics, and 1 semester or organic chemistry (these ones can be taken credit no credit). No scholarship for either.

Is it unwise to think about shooting higher for med schools and forgo a (virtually) guaranteed admission?
Honestly, go with Brown PLME.

Honestly, go with Brown PLME.
Agree. This is honestly a no-brainer. You're not locked into Alpert if you choose not to go there, but you might be locked out of it if you don't go this route. If all you need to do is get a B in a couple of science prereqs (which you'll need better grades in if you go to Columbia or any other non-linked UG program) and can basically do the rest of your degree P/F, you'd be nuts not to choose that path.

Status
Not open for further replies.