Should I complete these Secondary Apps?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sartre79

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's my stats: Nontrad. 3.8 sgpa, 3.8 gpa. 30 o MCAT (12,8,10). Average everything else. Minnesota Resident

Should I finish:

Mayo: have to pay them 75 to just look at Primary. Regardless, not sure I would even stand a chance due to MCAT and not a ton of research.

UConn: I think I applied on a whim due to location...not that I wouldn't go there. But it just seems that being an OOS applicant would rule me out.

###I applied to 22 schools, got secondaries from all except Wake Forest (damn them), so money spent is getting up there. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

ya i applied to 32 schools but i have ended up scrapping about 10 secondaries....not worth sending in the money....

Members don't see this ad :)
I would probably go ahead with Mayo - they seem to look for a very diverse class of students, and you never know whether you will match what they are looking for.

Yeah, I second that statement about Mayo. I had similar stats and got an in-person interview there. If you're really stretched for the $75, you can leave it - but I always say maximize your chances as much as possible (after all, you only want to apply once, right?)

On a different note, I also second the notion that you don't have to submit secondaries for all the schools you sent your primary to. I had 4 secondaries I didn't complete for various reasons, but mostly because I knew I really had no desire to attend that school (especially if it was a longshot). Only submit secondaries to schools you would be willing to attend if you got into them. Otherwise it's a waste of money and time, for both you and the adcom at that particular school.

thinknofu3 said:
Yeah, I second that statement about Mayo. I had similar stats and got an in-person interview there. If you're really stretched for the $75, you can leave it - but I always say maximize your chances as much as possible (after all, you only want to apply once, right?)

On a different note, I also second the notion that you don't have to submit secondaries for all the schools you sent your primary to. I had 4 secondaries I didn't complete for various reasons, but mostly because I knew I really had no desire to attend that school (especially if it was a longshot). Only submit secondaries to schools you would be willing to attend if you got into them. Otherwise it's a waste of money and time, for both you and the adcom at that particular school.

If you had no intention of going to the place, why would you even bother paying the $30 to have your AMCAS app sent there? Unless someone's really pressed for time, I can't see why they wouldn't finish ever secondary they got.

Sartre79 said:
Here's my stats: Nontrad. 3.8 sgpa, 3.8 gpa. 30 o MCAT (12,8,10). Average everything else. Minnesota Resident

Should I finish:

Mayo: have to pay them 75 to just look at Primary. Regardless, not sure I would even stand a chance due to MCAT and not a ton of research.

UConn: I think I applied on a whim due to location...not that I wouldn't go there. But it just seems that being an OOS applicant would rule me out.

###I applied to 22 schools, got secondaries from all except Wake Forest (damn them), so money spent is getting up there. Any advice?

Location? Have you seen Farmington, CT? I think all there is there is a Wendy's.

vmc303 said:
If you had no intention of going to the place, why would you even bother paying the $30 to have your AMCAS app sent there? Unless someone's really pressed for time, I can't see why they wouldn't finish ever secondary they got.

Because sometimes in mid-June you have a different outlook on your application situation than you do in mid-August. If you're already getting interviews at places you would rather go to (that aren't necessarily "reach" schools) then there's nothing wrong with holding off on submitting a secondary to see what happens. Don't succumb to the sunk-cost effect - if you've already spent the $30 AMCAS fee for that school, that money isn't coming back no matter what. Don't let that sucker you into $75-100 more for a school you really wouldn't want to go to.

Don't complete your secondary to Uconn. It isn't likely they'll accept you. They accepted only 17 OOS'ers last year.

DoctorPardi said:
Don't complete your secondary to Uconn. It isn't likely they'll accept you. They accepted only 17 OOS'ers last year.

i think 17 MATRICULATED last year... about 90 OOSers were accepted if i recalll correctly..

thinknofu3 said:
Because sometimes in mid-June you have a different outlook on your application situation than you do in mid-August. If you're already getting interviews at places you would rather go to (that aren't necessarily "reach" schools) then there's nothing wrong with holding off on submitting a secondary to see what happens. Don't succumb to the sunk-cost effect - if you've already spent the $30 AMCAS fee for that school, that money isn't coming back no matter what. Don't let that sucker you into $75-100 more for a school you really wouldn't want to go to.

Ahh yes! The sunk-cost effect has indeed motivated me to submit a couple of secondaries...or was it simply the fact that I made it through a screen? I can't remember!