Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Should I complete these Secondary Apps?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Sartre79, Aug 11, 2006.

1. Sartre79

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Here's my stats: Nontrad. 3.8 sgpa, 3.8 gpa. 30 o MCAT (12,8,10). Average everything else. Minnesota Resident

Should I finish:

Mayo: have to pay them 75 to just look at Primary. Regardless, not sure I would even stand a chance due to MCAT and not a ton of research.

UConn: I think I applied on a whim due to location...not that I wouldn't go there. But it just seems that being an OOS applicant would rule me out.

###I applied to 22 schools, got secondaries from all except Wake Forest (damn them), so money spent is getting up there. Any advice?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ClockworkDoc

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Nah, screw them

4. DR U-GENetIC

DR U-GENetIC Membership Revoked
    Removed

ya i applied to 32 schools but i have ended up scrapping about 10 secondaries....not worth sending in the money....

5. uvce

uvce Member
    5+ Year Member

I would probably go ahead with Mayo - they seem to look for a very diverse class of students, and you never know whether you will match what they are looking for.

6. thinknofu3

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yeah, I second that statement about Mayo. I had similar stats and got an in-person interview there. If you're really stretched for the $75, you can leave it - but I always say maximize your chances as much as possible (after all, you only want to apply once, right?)

On a different note, I also second the notion that you don't have to submit secondaries for all the schools you sent your primary to. I had 4 secondaries I didn't complete for various reasons, but mostly because I knew I really had no desire to attend that school (especially if it was a longshot). Only submit secondaries to schools you would be willing to attend if you got into them. Otherwise it's a waste of money and time, for both you and the adcom at that particular school.

7. vmc303

vmc303 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

If you had no intention of going to the place, why would you even bother paying the $30 to have your AMCAS app sent there? Unless someone's really pressed for time, I can't see why they wouldn't finish ever secondary they got.

8. ADeadLois

ADeadLois Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Location? Have you seen Farmington, CT? I think all there is there is a Wendy's.

9. thinknofu3

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Because sometimes in mid-June you have a different outlook on your application situation than you do in mid-August. If you're already getting interviews at places you would rather go to (that aren't necessarily "reach" schools) then there's nothing wrong with holding off on submitting a secondary to see what happens. Don't succumb to the sunk-cost effect - if you've already spent the $30 AMCAS fee for that school, that money isn't coming back no matter what. Don't let that sucker you into $75-100 more for a school you really wouldn't want to go to.

10. DoctorPardi

DoctorPardi In Memory of Riley Jane
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Don't complete your secondary to Uconn. It isn't likely they'll accept you. They accepted only 17 OOS'ers last year.

11. heeseop

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    i think 17 MATRICULATED last year... about 90 OOSers were accepted if i recalll correctly..

12. DoctorPardi

DoctorPardi In Memory of Riley Jane
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You're right only 17 matriculated.

13. Bubblehead-to-MD

Bubblehead-to-MD Emergency Blow!
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Ahh yes! The sunk-cost effect has indeed motivated me to submit a couple of secondaries...or was it simply the fact that I made it through a screen? I can't remember!