Should I conduct research unrelated to health and medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorrr-t

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a first year pre-med student, I’ve been looking into research opportunities and the ones offered at my institution aren’t very related to health and medicine, but rather focused on general microbiology, ecology and evolution of systems using plants, using bacteria etc etc. They’re obviously not very medicine-oriented or anything, but would you say it’s still valuable and “good enough” to have these research experiences?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
As a first year pre-med student, I’ve been looking into research opportunities and the ones offered at my institution aren’t very related to health and medicine, but rather focused on general microbiology, ecology and evolution of systems using plants, using bacteria etc etc. They’re obviously not very medicine-oriented or anything, but would you say it’s still valuable and “good enough” to have these research experiences?
Yes, it's fine.

Think scientific method.

1. You're free to study something that stimulates and satisfies your intellectual and mental curiosity.

2. The scientific method applies to countless things, including general microbiology, ecology and evolution of systems using plants, using bacteria, etc.

3. Research experience includes activities that support an understanding of scientific method, evidence of problem solving and observational skills, data entry and analysis for the purpose of reflection/study and other related experiences that exhibit a contribution to a research project.

4. In a research lab, some of your goals as a first-year pre-med student will include gaining increasing levels of responsibility and increasing levels of productivity (e.g., posters and publications). In the beginning, you will be moving through a lab learning curve, as you become more knowledgeable, experienced and independent as an undergraduate "researcher."

Reactions: 2 users
It is definitely something you should do if you have the time to do it! I did research in organic chemistry and psychology and it was brought up during my interviews for medical school. Since most applicants don't do research in those fields, it definitely caught their attention!

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, go for it! For research experience, it doesn't necessarily have to be medical. You just have to show that you enjoy the process of science

I think what you are doing is great, you can always get a research associate position at local hospital on volunteer basis when you look into clinical research but for now this is great.