Should I consider going to the Caribbean right after High School?

Soul_seekscakes

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! So, I am currently a grade 12 high school student in Canada and I am really interested in perusing a career in medicine. I am an "okay-ish" student ( at least that's what I think, with a 92% in grade 12), and I also have a bit of volunteer experience. However, me and my parents have heard it from a lot of people that it is extremely hard to get into a medical school after completing your Bachelor's here in Canada. For this reason my parents are considering to send me to MUA (Medical School of Americas) in the Caribbean- to them it guarantees my medical career.
I have absolutely no idea about this and honestly, I am a bit sceptical about it too. But I was wondering if it is really worth going there. We have some family friends, who have sent their children to the Caribbean, but they seem to be writing all these additional exams in Canada and America, and their careers' seem to be a bit shady too.
I know studying here in Canada will expose me to fast paced research, a lot of reputed scientists and some crazy hard competition, which I like, but at the same time, I know this won't necessarily guarantee a med school to me. I know I am dedicated and I will work hard, but if going to Caribbean is a good opportunity for me then I don't want to miss it.
I honestly appreciate all your help and thank you for all your replies!

Members don't see this ad.

Good lord no. Don't go to the Caribbean if you value a career in medicine. Well, maybe on vacation....

Reactions: 1 users
I would avoid it. The universities in Canada are very difficult to get into, so I would try and apply for colleges in the U.S. if that is something you are capable of doing. The process is difficult, but if you go to a good university and are able to maintain a 3.5+ GPA, with solid research, shadowing and clinical work then you will have a good chance.

I am not saying that it is easy in any way, but if you put in the effort and are able to maintain good grades it is certainly possible. The processes in the Caribbean are difficult and do not properly set you up for your future.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! So, I am currently a grade 12 high school student in Canada and I am really interested in perusing a career in medicine. I am an "okay-ish" student ( at least that's what I think, with a 92% in grade 12), and I also have a bit of volunteer experience. However, me and my parents have heard it from a lot of people that it is extremely hard to get into a medical school after completing your Bachelor's here in Canada. For this reason my parents are considering to send me to MUA (Medical School of Americas) in the Caribbean- to them it guarantees my medical career.
I have absolutely no idea about this and honestly, I am a bit sceptical about it too. But I was wondering if it is really worth going there. We have some family friends, who have sent their children to the Caribbean, but they seem to be writing all these additional exams in Canada and America, and their careers' seem to be a bit shady too.
I know studying here in Canada will expose me to fast paced research, a lot of reputed scientists and some crazy hard competition, which I like, but at the same time, I know this won't necessarily guarantee a med school to me. I know I am dedicated and I will work hard, but if going to Caribbean is a good opportunity for me then I don't want to miss it.
I honestly appreciate all your help and thank you for all your replies!

Dude, slap the beejezus out of your parents right now. You will be the laughing stock of the century if you went to the Caribbean from high school with those grades. You will never get over it and you'll regret ever making that decision.

First off, going abroad does not always guarantee your medical career as you need to apply for residency. Canada is extremely tough for anyone who studies abroad and is Canadian, you'll have a tough time getting into family med let alone anything else.s

Some Canadians do go abroad directly after high school but they usually go abroad to places like Ireland or the UK. In the UK you can actually do all your residency training there as well. While I don't recommend it if you were to go abroad those are the places you should go as they will have top notch research and solid curriculums to back it up and you will be training at good hospitals not cash strapped low tier american community hospitals that need extra money just to survive (Caribbean teaching hospitals).

Either way, stick to Canada, I cannot say this enough, I know tons of people who got into medical school in Canada from Canadian undergrad, its not easy but for the dedicated its doable.

Do not go straight from high school. Get into a good university (us or canada) and work hard. Canadian medical school is difficult to get into. I agree with going to undergrad in US if possible to give you a better chance at medical school.

Getting back to Canada from the Caribbean is very difficult. I have known a few from SGU (derm, ortho, and optho) but they were top students with extremely high exam scores and worked their but off. It happens but by no means should it be expected. Even with top grades and exam scores you are not guaranteed a residency in canada from any Carib medical school.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks everyone for all your honest replies! I think I have somewhat of idea now, although I still feel lost! Do you guys think its a better option to go to UK, Ireland or US? If so, will their degrees be accepted here in Canada? and can I go there after my Bachelor's? I know that's a lot of question I'm asking, but I want to make sure I make my decisions properly! Once again, thank you all!

Thanks everyone for all your honest replies! I think I have somewhat of idea now, although I still feel lost! Do you guys think its a better option to go to UK, Ireland or US? If so, will their degrees be accepted here in Canada? and can I go there after my Bachelor's? I know that's a lot of question I'm asking, but I want to make sure I make my decisions properly! Once again, thank you all!

If you can't get into a Canadian school, then the US would be your best option.

Well if you go to Canada or US you will be doing undergrad. I recommend doing your undergrad in Canada because its cheaper and there is no difference in quality. Then for medical school you can go to the US if you can't get into Canada.

The UK and Ireland aren't good options if you want to come back to Canada for residency. Canada "recognizes" every country's degrees, but it puts all countries except the US and Canada into the IMG category and there are like 10 people applying for each spot, that is why people don't recommend going abroad because it will be like applying to medical school all over again.

Besides, unless you have alot of volunteering and other extracurriculuars you won't be able to get in so its really not worth applying since you are already Gr. 12.

Do undergrad in Canada. Apply to Canadian medical school and US medical school. Simple as that.

If your parents and you are desperate for direct med, they have money to support you, you have 90%+ in Gr. 12 Bio and Chem and 85%+ in Gr. 11 Bio and Chem and you have volunteering experience as well as some leadership experience or awards, and you are comfortable enough to handle moving away from home at 18, then apply to the UK. Its not easy at all, because the UK puts a quota on internationals, but you don't have much to lose. That way you are guaranteed to be a doctor, but again you might not be able to come home to Canada until your early to mid 30s depending on speciality, if you don't get residency in Canada or the US. If you meet all these criteria and you want to apply, look up the UKCAT, start studying you only need 1 month and write it in August. Start researching all the medical schools in the UK and apply to the A100 programs. You can only pick a maximum of 4 medical schools to apply to every year so pick wisely.

Last edited:
If you have good grades and some extra curriculars, apply to McMaster Health Sciences program. It basically guarantees you a high GPA in university and opens many doors for you med school wise. The main problem with all this is, you're only still in high school. You don't know exactly what you want and what you like. You probably don't know if med school is for you (and even if you do right now, most people change their minds completely a few years into undergrad). Apply to a normal undergrad in Canada and work to get good grades. Volunteer, pursue and deepen your interests. Eventually get your MCAT done and then worry about applying for med schools. You have lots of time, so don't rush. Heads up, grades in high school do not necessarily dictate university grades. Expect a drop in your first year, unless you study day and night which I strongly recommend you don't do. If you want more info on Canadian med schools this is a better source: http://premed101.com/forums/

Good luck! PM me if you need any help (I'm not a canadian med student yet, but I hope to be one in the next couple of years)

As a Canadian student this would be my advice to you (and was my plan during undergrad). Vet med and Medicine work almost identical in Canada.

Stay in Canada for your undergrad, at least. You will get an extremely high quality education that is heavily subsidized by the government compared to other countries, meaning you will be paying much less. Also, you will qualify for way more scholarships and government student loans by staying in Canada. You can still apply for medical school with a Canadian university undergrad education in foreign countries. Make sure during your course selections that you are meeting all the requirements for Canadian schools AND any foreign schools you are interested in. Also make sure that any foreign schools you apply to have the same licensing exams at the end of med school as Canada. Otherwise, you won't be able to practice in Canada even after you graduate med school before writing and passing their board exams.

My plan during undergrad was to first apply to the Canadian vet schools and see where that got me. I decided that if I didn't get accepted after two attempts in Canada than I would apply to school in New Zealand. Luckily, I got accepted my first try in Canada so I didn't have to worry about it.
A girl I used to work with is in her final year of vet school in Scotland. She did her Bachelor's at University of Alberta and was having a hard time getting accepted into any Canadian vet schools. She got accepted in Scotland her first attempt and all her classes transferred just fine. However, I do know that she pays about 4-5 times the tuition of what I pay per year, and qualifies for little to no government loans. Luckily, her parents are "well off".

Stay in Canada, save your money, study hard, and rock the MCAT. You'll be fine.

LOL at having a 92% in Grade 12 being only 'okay-ish'.

Kids these days.