Podiatry Should I consider Public Service Loan Forgiveness?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDN

Welcome to SDN
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I am a physician working for a facility that would qualify for Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF). My spouse plans on going back to school and then working in healthcare administration after our children have begun school (which will still take several years). Being responsible for both of our student loans, I worry about being able to support the family that we want and being able to pay back student loans before retirement. I'm happy with my job but am open to other opportunities. Have you heard of anyone having success with PSLF? Should I consider private practice where income potential is much higher than where I'm at currently which is salary with little room for income growth or business ventures?
It depends on your geographic location, loan-type, etc.

You may find PSLF is a good way to go -- get paid for the work you're doing and get loans forgiven. However, there are some restrictions on which type of loans are forgiven. Read the FAQ here: Public Service Loan Forgiveness.

Alternatively, consider working for a local health system -- you may find that health systems are willing to give you a better package of pay and loan repayment.

One more consideration should be the National Health Service Corps. When all the side benefits (loan repayment, paid annual leave, etc.) are incorporated, it can be a good deal.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.