Should I consider research assistant positions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Italiandoc13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an European recent MD. Since I have not taken any USMLE step so far, I will not be able to apply for an Internal Medicine spot till September 2016. In the meanwhile, my plan is to find a research position to strengthen my application with some research papers while studying for the steps.
As MD, I should look for positions as post doc. I have a pretty strong background in clinical research, but no experience at all in lab. Even post doc positions which do not require a PhD obviously mandate at least one year of experience in molecular biology or other basic research stuff, so it seems pretty hard for me.

My main question is: should I consider opened positions as research assistant? Most of them do not require any specific experience in lab. I would probably be overqualified, but that is not the point. As research assistant, would I be able to author scientific papers? Do you think it is possible to be hired as post-doc after some months of experience as research assistant? And eventually, is it worth to go through a period as research assistant if my final goal is residency?

Members don't see this ad.

You should probably spend your time and energy on the Steps. You're not qualified to be a post-doc and a lot of labs won't even talk to you for a tech job unless you're willing to give them at least 2 years.

1 year in a lab, with no prior experience, is unlikely to get you anything useful for a future residency application.

Reactions: 1 user