Should I consider switching majors, if it means a higher GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xnfs93hy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently in Chemical Engineering. I'm doing quite well (3.8+), but junior year is coming up and I'm going to be getting into my major classes. They are notoriously hard and I fear that my GPA will tank bigtime. I know that the single most important factor in medical school admissions, apart from your MCAT score, is your GPA. On the one hand, I want to stick with ChemE because it's something that I love, but on the other hand, I also want to become a physician and medical schools want to see high GPAs. Regardless of what happens, I don't plan on applying to medical school until I'm out of undergrad. Another major I'm considering is Psychology, which is considerably easier than ChemE and something that I'm also interested in. However, it's hard to find a job as a Psychologist with just a B.S. I would have to go to graduate school and get at least a Master's and I don't want to do that either. I want to focus on my major in undergrad and maybe take some time off after undergrad to work part-time and fulfill the medical school requirements (shadowing, research, volunteering, community service, etc.). I'm really torn on what to do and would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

you should pursue a major that you love, not a major that you don't like.

you should pursue a major that you love, not a major that you don't like.

I know that. I do love being a ChemE. I'm just afraid that my good GPA will fall and destroy my prospects for medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
By fall what do you mean? The size of the fall matters here.

By fall what do you mean? The size of the fall matters here.

Well, my GPA is ~3.81 right now. I project it to fall to around a ~3.60, if I continue ChemE into my junior year. That's below the average for M.D. schools. I believe 3.7 is the average for allopathic. If I switch to Psych, I could potentially bring my 3.81 to a 3.9 something.

Well, my GPA is ~3.81 right now. I project it to fall to around a ~3.60, if I continue ChemE into my junior year. That's below the average for M.D. schools. I believe 3.7 is the average for allopathic. If I switch to Psych, I could potentially bring my 3.81 to a 3.9 something.

How much do you like ChemE? Will adcoms understand that engineering majors are scaled a bit differently? Depends how much you want it. Personally, I double majored and am fairly sure it was not the best thing for my GPA. That said, I know it made me into well-rounded person, and I feel like it did not detriment my application choices at all. It's your call.

Yes psych might get you a better GPA, but it's pretty much useless like you said. Plus if it's not something you enjoy, would you feel satisfied in junior and senior year? Don't be scared to take a stab at the upper div courses. Avoiding the problem instead of trying to overcome it is not going to look good.

This is something I considered as well quite often. I ended up sticking with the harder major and now that I'm done, I'm proud of myself for getting through it but I'm unhappy with my GPA.

Now, if you think you will end up with a 3.6, I think that's still good. However, take this with a grain of salt as I'm still a pre-med. Maybe ask one of the adcoms on here what they think.

3.6 is not bad, especially for an engineering major. It also depends on which medical schools you're aiming for, as top 20 schools would be a bit difficult to get into with 3.6.

The other concern here is whether a negative grade trend will raise questions among adcoms, despite your major. @gyngyn might be able to answer this question better.

We only care that you distinguished yourself in the pursuit of something important to you.
I cannot encourage a switch into a major that does not interest you .
It does a disservice to you and to the people who have dedicated themselves to it.
Find a way to do well in what you care about.

Reactions: 1 users
3.6 averaging with 3.8 = 3.7, still competitive. Also senior year is much easier so you will end with a 3.7+

You should be fine - especially if you actually liked chem E.

Reactions: 1 user