Should I continue research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chillingpanda

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently doing clinical research in a psychology lab that requires 10 hrs/ week for one year. I started last year and will finish that commitment this month. I have roughly about 520 hours of research. I don't know if I should continue this since I feel like this is enough? My PI already told me he would write me a strong LOR and I would just keep it in my interfolio till I apply in a few years. I am also beginning to scribe at an orthopedic clinic and it would free up my schedule a bit if I don't have to continue doing research. What do you guys think? Would another year really boost my application that much? I was first author for a poster presentation that my university held and in 3 ongoing studies.

Members don't see this ad.

I think I would only stop doing it if you are replacing it with something else; would the scribing replace your 10 hr/week? then I'd say not a huge deal

but if you are doing research "just to check a box" then that might not look as good, especially at top med schools

The hours you spend doing research doesn't matter as much as what you get out of it. If you feel like you're heading into a dead end and won't personally grow from the experience, then there's no point in continuing. You should be able to convey that you're interested and engaged in the research you are performing. Otherwise, you'll just look like you're checking off a box.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently doing clinical research in a psychology lab that requires 10 hrs/ week for one year. I started last year and will finish that commitment this month. I have roughly about 520 hours of research. I don't know if I should continue this since I feel like this is enough? My PI already told me he would write me a strong LOR and I would just keep it in my interfolio till I apply in a few years. I am also beginning to scribe at an orthopedic clinic and it would free up my schedule a bit if I don't have to continue doing research. What do you guys think? Would another year really boost my application that much? I was first author for a poster presentation that my university held and in 3 ongoing studies.
What you have now is sufficient for general application purposes. If OTOH, you are aiming for highly-selective, research -oriented schools, you'd want to demonstrate growth over a longer period: taking on more responsibility, having more autonomy, or having creative control of a project.

Doesn't sound like you're interested in the research in the first place, so why continue? Also, university poster presentation isn't much, just so you know.

I think I would only stop doing it if you are replacing it with something else; would the scribing replace your 10 hr/week? then I'd say not a huge deal

but if you are doing research "just to check a box" then that might not look as good, especially at top med schools
Mehh, I feel like most people do it for that reason. Idk we'll see, but I'll probably discontinue
Doesn't sound like you're interested in the research in the first place, so why continue? Also, university poster presentation isn't much, just so you know.
True, but better than no research presentation