Should I continue trying for DS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asdfhhadsf234

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This is just difficult to think when it seems like no matter what, my sGPA will be below the very large majority of enrollees according to statistics

Members don't see this ad :)
This is just difficult to think when it seems like no matter what, my sGPA will be below the very large majority of enrollees according to statistics
Remember that is the average stats. That means there are accepted students that have higher stats and half have lower than that number. Keep grinding and get that 4.0 from here out. You'll be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
It’s not all about the stats. I have around a 3.3 GPA as well and a 19 on the DAT. And I have 7 interviews so far this cycle.

Reactions: 1 users
It’s not all about the stats. I have around a 3.3 GPA as well and a 19 on the DAT. And I have 7 interviews so far this cycle.

what did you have on your app that you think made you stand out? also whats your sGPA?

what did you have on your app that you think made you stand out? also whats your sGPA?
To be honest I really don’t know. I’m a non traditional student. A lot of volunteering. And I’m a hygienist. But I’m about as surprised as anyone about it.
My science gpa is also 3.3

Feeling really discouraged right now by my science GPA. I have one year left with a 3.3/3.1 oGPA/sGPA and a strong upward trend (4.0 last semester, on track for close to if not 4.0 this semester and I believe I am able to get the same thing for my last semester). This would put me at a 3.5/3.3 GPA graduating. I have a 22AA/21TS/26PAT DAT, 400hrs clinical, and am URM.

It's really tough seeing all these great stats and high average accepted GPAs and I just feel extremely discouraged right now to the point where I'm debating dropping this whole thing.

Apply broadly and shift your focus inwards. It's easier said than done but if dentistry is what you want to do your stats are enough. You haven't shut the door or anywhere close to that. I'll be honest with you, you'll need to apply broadly and there's a chance you won't get in on the first cycle. But I personally believe there's a good chance that you will. You need to be okay with the possibility it might take more than one shot.

In your breaks between semesters and if you have some downtime that won't detract from school, focus on crafting what you want to say in your PS. Try to make it impactful and genuine. You've still got this.

Reactions: 1 user
Take this with a grain of salt, but I have lower stats than you, and I have had six invites so far.

Everyone is different, but you are more than capable of seeing this thing through, and I’m sure admissions will see that as long as you have a solid personal statement to add to your application. If this is your dream, it will only be your own insecurity that gets in your way. Be confident, and shine! Good luck!

Gonna chip in here, I also have lower stats than you and have had a more successful cycle than I could have hoped for with 9 interview invites.

You're fine and do not need to drop anything. Yes there are a lot of really high stats on this site, but if you look through it a bit more closely, you'll see there's quite a few of us lower stat folks doing just fine.