ash914

5+ Year Member
May 20, 2009
Status
I volunteer at an uninsured clinic and volunteers do everything from screening and recruiting patients to registering them and billing them after their visit. I'm still a freshman, its enjoyable enough, and I get shadowing experience elsewhere, so should I continue with it and does it count as clinical experience?

NickNaylor

Thank You for Smoking
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
May 22, 2008
Deep in the heart of Texas
Status
Attending Physician
1) Do you enjoy it? If yes, go to #2. If no, find something else to do.

2) Is there something else you can do with that time that you'd feel would be more productive? If yes, do that other "something." If no, stick with it.

This is oversimplified of course, but a good place to start.

Pills Of Soap

iBrawl
5+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2009
Sunny
Status
Medical Student
seems like a good experience. are u able to see doctors work with patients too? if so then this is a definitely a clinical experience, and probably one of the better ones.

med schools like to see long continuous exposures to the clinical setting (about 12months). so unless u got something lined up, this sounds like a good gig.

shindotp

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
That sounds like way better clinical experience than shadowing and volunteering at 99% of all hospitals.

OP
A

ash914

5+ Year Member
May 20, 2009
Status
seems like a good experience. are u able to see doctors work with patients too? if so then this is a definitely a clinical experience, and probably one of the better ones.

med schools like to see long continuous exposures to the clinical setting (about 12months). so unless u got something lined up, this sounds like a good gig.
What I see doctors do is really limited, but there is some. Maybe I'll ask the nurses if I could help with taking vitals, drawing blood, and the like.

I do have something else in the way of clinical experience I'm starting, but I don't think there will be a conflict, and I do enjoy the free clinic work, so I'll stay with it.

Thanks for the help.

Apr 23, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
If you are enjoying yourself/learning keep it up. Don't do it because a bunch of strangers on a forum tell you to.

Poliscidoc

7+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I volunteer at an uninsured clinic and volunteers do everything from screening and recruiting patients to registering them and billing them after their visit. I'm still a freshman, its enjoyable enough, and I get shadowing experience elsewhere, so should I continue with it and does it count as clinical experience?
If you like where you at then cont. to do it.. If you want more shadowing experience than just split your time between the two.. I volunteer at a Hospital and a Clinic just because I dont get much Shadowing at the hospital so I have to get it somewhere. But I love the atmosphere that the hospital has to answer.

Hope this helps, and plus your only a freshman so you have time