Should I continue?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

melis3990

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a student entering her third year of undergraduate. After this summer I will have completed the bulk of my Pre-Medical coursework with only Calculus and Molecular Cell Biology left for the fall. Unfortunately, I have become extremely discouraged over the past two years. I currently have a 3.3 GPA and I believe my Math/Science is only a 2.64. I had a C both semesters of General Chemistry and a C- both semester of Organic chemistry. All my other grades have been mostly A's and A-'s with some B's. Now that Junior year is coming, I am trying to decide whether or not to begin working toward taking the MCAT. I do not know if my efforts will be worthwhile considering my academic standing. I am also not sure if I should repeat the courses I received C's in. I have confidence in my ability to perform well during the next two years now that the heavy science courses will be over, but even if I have a 4.0 each of my remaining semesters, I don't know how much that will help.

I am very involved with volunteering, leadership etc., and I have confidence in that portion of my application, however when it comes to the test numbers and grades, I am not so sure. Ideally I would like to attend an Allopathic school in the United States, but would not be completely opposed to Osteopathic schools. Essentially, I'd go almost anywhere that would take me.

If anyone could offer some insight or share experiences, I'd love to hear what you have to say.

Thank you so much.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Well speaking lightly your science gpa is very bad. Your Cgpa is low. Your best chance is DO and would be to retake a lot of your class ( organic chemistry you'll need to retake regardless as a C- is below the requirement). It wouldn't take too long honestly to get to a competitive level with a few retakes.

Or

An SMP which can help you but usually require a cgpa of 3.0 and a 3.0 science gpa as well as a 30+ mcat. This will take you about a year and cost a lot but it will increase your chances for MD.