should i delay my application a year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jy2017

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently 30.
I originally studied something totally unrelated and then worked in unrelated fields for a few years. I realized i wanted to go to med school and started prereq courses when I was 27. My original plan was to go to med school in another country, but I recently changed my mind to apply in the US (I am a US citizen, born and raised here) because of various reasons.

Anyways, I just decided a month ago to apply in the US. But I only have 40 hours clinical experience. I have a bit over 100 hours of non-clinical volunteering such as social services agencies. I also have to take the MCAT. Done with all prereqs: sGPA 3.8, general GPA 3.65. A lot of bench research experience.

So I want to do really well on the MCAT, and get a lot of clinical experience (a few hundred if possible). And work. And have leisure time. But if I take the MCAT in April, I have 5 months to try to do that. And I'm wondering if you think it's better if I delay a year or try to do it all this year. If I delay, I would have to start med school at age 33, rather than 32. So I know I'm much older than the average student, but I guess does another year matter that much? I also look like I'm 20...not that it matters, but it helps in me not feeling weird in terms of perceived as much older.

Would appreciate your opinions, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.