Should I delay my MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mattinthehat250

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm scheduled to take the mcat may 19th, and I'm applying this cycle to D.O schools. Problem is, I'm only about half-way through studying bio and haven't studied physics yet. I get done with school in one week so the month of may will be completely free for studying. I really don't think I will be ready by may 19th, but I'm wondering what is the latest possible date I could take the mcat and still have my app in somewhat early or at least not late enough to significantly decrease my chances of acceptance? I'm thinking maybe sometime in beggining or mid july. If I do delay, my plan is to do the Sn2ed schedule, since my studying up until now has been with kaplan/PR books and not very structured.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
More than enough time for May 19th, imo. If you're only applying to DO schools, some of them take MCAT scores the january DURING the cycle I believe lol. You only need around a 25 to have a good chance of getting in, so I don't think it's worth it to waste your whole summer studying for a higher score, unless of course you're thinking about MD as well. And in that case, I'd push it back