2018throwaway

Probationary Status
Jul 1, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
So we're nearing the time that a secondary would be considered "on time" rather than "early." Secondary is for Vanderbilt which I believe is slightly rolling (but also screens)? I got the invite on July 21. This is one of my top choice schools

Someone who used to work on their admissions committee offered to take a look at my responses. Is it worth delaying 1 week to get this assistance?

How significant is the advantage of being "early" vs "on time" (not necessarily for just this situation but just in general)

Thanks

Coltuna

2+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2015
Status
Medical Student
So we're nearing the time that a secondary would be considered "on time" rather than "early." Secondary is for Vanderbilt which I believe is slightly rolling (but also screens)? I got the invite on July 21. This is one of my top choice schools

Someone who used to work on their admissions committee offered to take a look at my responses. Is it worth delaying 1 week to get this assistance?

How significant is the advantage of being "early" vs "on time" (not necessarily for just this situation but just in general)

Thanks
Absolutely worth waiting 1 week to get that feedback first. "Early" vs "On time" is more analogous to late August vs mid September than September 1 vs September 7.

To answer bolded, I always thought the "be early!!!!" advice that everyone gives was overhyped until I started this cycle... Waiting for any word while people around you are getting interview invites with lower stats (and probably worse writing ability based on their posts) is infuriating. Time will tell whether this actually affects my cycle though.

Last edited:
About the Ads

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
It's not even Labor Day. Quit fussing.

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Status
Non-Student
tbf Labor Day is next week
Staff will still be out for the summer. The Admissions Offices don't get really going until then.

CaffeineJunkie

5+ Year Member
Oct 2, 2010
Probably a lab bench
Status
Pre-Medical
Staff will still be out for the summer. The Admissions Offices don't get really going until then.
Honest question, as I've heard this advice about Labor Day repeated fairly often. If the admissions offices don't really get going, then why are there so many schools sending out II's? Thanks!

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Status
Non-Student
Honest question, as I've heard this advice about Labor Day repeated fairly often. If the admissions offices don't really get going, then why are there so many schools sending out II's? Thanks!
They're not completely inactive, and I surmise that some offices are better staffed than others. Keep in mind that some offices may handle apps not only for the med school, but for other professional schools in the University.

Reactions: CaffeineJunkie
About the Ads