Medical Should I disclose mental illness to med school admin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Question

Member Question
Volunteer Staff
Reaction score
Hello! This is something that I’ve been wondering about for a while, but was irrelevant until recently, when I got my first acceptance. I have a mental health diagnosis and I was wondering if this is something that I should disclose to the administration, or really just keep it to myself. I have been stable for a while, my illness is very well-managed, and I don’t anticipate that I will need any special accommodations, so is there any plus side at all in disclosing this? I know there is a lot of stigma against this (understandably so) and would ideally like to not encounter that before I need to (one must disclose mental illness when getting licensed, right?). I just don’t feel like I have a lot of information as to how this will play out logistically. Thank you so much!

— Experts please respond to this post —

Members don't see this ad.

Higher education has set up systems where you should feel comfortable to volunteer your information regarding your health in a confidential way. To answer your question, take advantage of any opportunity to confidentially disclose to student health administrators; they are used to keeping this information confidential. It helps if you do have to request accommodations in the future, but it also will help give you access to any on-campus resources in case you need them as well. Now that you have an acceptance, you need to listen carefully to how the school where you will matriculate handles these situations and whether you can trust them.

I would err on the more cautious side, I would not disclose unless specifically asked. They are your medical school not necessarily your personal physicians

Members don't see this ad :)
I would let them know so that they can accommodate if they need to. Springing something on them at the last minute will make it tough for them to help you.
thats true, if he/she does need any accommodation it is better for them to know earlier rather than later.

My point was under the OP's assumption that they would not need anything (and hopefully they won't!)

thats true, if he/she does need any accommodation it is better for them to know earlier rather than later.

My point was under the OP's assumption that they would not need anything (and hopefully they won't!)
I would disclose to student health when prompted in the run up to orientation. Better then than wait until you do badly on courses in medical school.

Status
Not open for further replies.