Medical Should I discuss being a D1 athlete and mental health advocate in diversity essay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

For the diversity prompt, I was originally going to talk the perspective/skills I've learned as a DI athlete. I was also in an organization for student athletes and we led a big mental health initiative my last 2 years. Through some helpful feedback, I decided to spin this essay as advocating for mental health of medical students and physicians. There is clearly (unfortunately) still stigma in the field of medicine, as there is in athletics, and I wanted to focus my essay on how leading these mental health initiatives at my school will allow me to contribute to the overall diversity of [insert school] because I will be an advocate to normalize the discussion surrounding mental health in medicine, and basically make "mental health", "health", while supporting my peers and patients in overall wellbeing.

I've been warned that this could be read in a negative way by adcoms as if I'm accusing them of not caring about mental health. So I've had people suggest to spin it in more of a general way, that I can be comfortable and willing to discuss sensitive/difficult topics and have the skills to support my classmates and patients. I think this makes my specific contribution watered down/generic, but of course I don't want to raise any red flags by saying out of the gate that I will make mental health in medicine a focus (even though it is an issue that must be addressed.)

At this point, after much contemplation, I wanted to get the advice/opinion of an SDN adcom on how this response to the diversity prompt will be taken. I welcome and appreciate any thoughts on the matter! Specifically, @Goro @LizzyM, wondering what you guys think!
We're supposed to advocate for good mental health. What's cool about you?

Members don't see this ad.

Mmm was having a hard time thinking of that, so I thought being a DI athlete was something that would possibly stand out. BUT, I thought that being an athlete in organization that specifically pushed for mental/health resources and support would be more unique than just being an athlete. I think there are similar reasons why mental health is stigmatized in athletics and medicine and being in this organization would help me bring a unique perspective about how mental health is approached. Do you think that's just off for this prompt?
Try harder. Introspection is a required trait for a doctor.

I guess regardless of the prompt, is advocating for the mental health of medical students/physicians a topic that should be avoided or would be taken offensively from an adcom's perspective? That is my main question.

The topic itself isn't taboo. Mental health is important. That being said, while I think it's amazing that you participated in this experience, and I'm certain it will contribute to your ability to be a great physician, focusing on mental health isn't really diversity. An experience about being a D1 athlete, as you were contemplating before, would probably be more fruitful.

As an aside, I think most medical school admissions committees would respond positively to someone who cares about the mental health of others. There is a disproportionately high rate of suicide among medical professionals.

Status
Not open for further replies.