Should I discuss reapplying in my personal statement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MoreProbableThanNot

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide whether or not to discuss being rejected by ALL medical schools I had previously applied to, and how it caused me to question if this path was for me, only to be reaffirmed by the volunteer work and clinical research job that I took. Would it be bad to bring that up?

I will be reapplying to many schools, but also applying to schools I did not apply to the first time.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't do it! Only talk about this if you get an interview with a school you've applied to previously. Make sure you change your personal statement from the last one. and listen to Goro ^^^^.

I would not spend too much time focusing on your feelings post rejection however I do not think it is a bad idea to discuss your reapplication in the personal statement. I was also a re-applicant, my first application cycle I only applied MD. For my second MD personal statement I did mention my unsuccessful application cycle however mostly I focused the essay on the things I had done in the interim year and "why medicine". For my DO applications I used a different essay that did not mention my previous rejections since I had not applied DO before (so a third essay different than either of my MD essays). My first cycle I had received 3 MD interviews which resulted in 3 waitlists that subsequently became rejections. This cycle I received 3 MD interviews and 3 DO interviews and was accepted to all 6 programs. It will be no secret that you are a re-applicant so I don't see a problem with addressing the issue head on, just remember to keep it positive (you are trying to sell yourself)!

Reactions: 1 user