Should I dissect a cadaver the summer before starting med school?

• Pharmacy Job Market Webinar

Are you considering applying to pharmacy school but are concerned about job prospects when you graduate? Join us on Wednesday, July 28th at 8 PM Eastern to hear from three PharmDs about their experiences and options outside of retail pharmacy.

Trismegistus4

Worried Wellologist
15+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Hi, everyone. I have been accepted to med school to start this July/August. I know everyone says to just travel, take time off, or read non-medical stuff, but I was wondering if it would help to dissect a cadaver on my own before schools starts. I don't want to sound like a gunner, I just want to make sure I'm prepared to do as well as I can. Is this a good idea? Also, where can I get a cadaver? I don't have any family members or friends who are on their deathbeds. Should I try calling local mob members and seeing if they're planning on offing anyone soon?

Reactions: 1 user

Bravofriendly

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I'd recommend tailing hearses, that way you're more likely to find one embalmed...if that doesn't work, I hear that there are plenty of unclaimed bodies that you might be able to get for a bargain.

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Hi, everyone. I have been accepted to med school to start this July/August. I know everyone says to just travel, take time off, or read non-medical stuff, but I was wondering if it would help to dissect a cadaver on my own before schools starts. I don't want to sound like a gunner, I just want to make sure I'm prepared to do as well as I can. Is this a good idea? Also, where can I get a cadaver? I don't have any family members or friends who are on their deathbeds. Should I try calling local mob members and seeing if they're planning on offing anyone soon?

In the olden days they used to dig up fresh graves for the cadavers -- that might work for you. Although without formaldehyde you may have to contend with maggots. But it's a waste of time to do a dissection without the accompanying instruction -- you won't know what's what. So I say go travel.

About the Ads

tacojohn

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2006
Status (Visible)
I'd recommend tailing hearses, that way you're more likely to find one embalmed...if that doesn't work, I hear that there are plenty of unclaimed bodies that you might be able to get for a bargain.

If that doesn't work, there's always the do-it-yourself method of cadaver acquisition. Nobody will ever notice if that upstairs neighbor of yours mysteriously goes missing.

Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
If that doesn't work, there's always the do-it-yourself method of cadaver acquisition. Nobody will ever notice if that upstairs neighbor of yours mysteriously goes missing.

Disposal might be an issue, however. Do you have a house with a dirt-covered crawl space? It's wise to think ahead to all aspects of the experience before proceding.

C

Critical Mass

I don't know that a fresh specimen is comparable to a preserved cadaver. You can't ID body parts correctly unless you can do it among the fumes of noxious chemicals.

excalibur

15+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician

NO!!!!!!

smq123

John William Waterhouse
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician

Don't be such a little wimp. "Oh, boo-hoo, I won't be able to dissect a cadaver before med school because I can't find a dead body." True med students dissect their own arm when they can't find a cadaver. (I mean, you have 2, right?) Think about it.

DragonWell

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I'd go ahead and obtain a body now so that when anatomy lab starts you can just whip your cadaver out and say "No thanks, I brought my own." Trust me everyone will be impressed.

About the Ads

jonb12997

I'm a doctor!!
15+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2003
Wherever I go, that's where the party's at!
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician

watch a bunch of law and order and CSI and you should be all set ;)

Dakota

15+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I'd go ahead and obtain a body now so that when anatomy lab starts you can just whip your cadaver out and say "No thanks, I brought my own." Trust me everyone will be impressed.

Just leave it in your apt. Makes it easier to study that way, you needn't go back to school just to brush up on some anatomy.

turkleton

Capeless Crusader
10+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Just when I thought pre-meds mignt not be the biggest bunch of tools there ever was (I just like everyone in med school was sadly one of them a few years ago) this little morsel of absurdity pops up. How has this thread been taken even remotely seriously? I can't tell if the OP is being serious or sarcastic so I just want to cover my bases.

SanDiegoSOD

Milk was a bad choice
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2004
Sunny California
Status (Visible)
Just when I thought pre-meds mignt not be the biggest bunch of tools there ever was (I just like everyone in med school was sadly one of them a few years ago) this little morsel of absurdity pops up. How has this thread been taken even remotely seriously? I can't tell if the OP is being serious or sarcastic so I just want to cover my bases.

You need serious help.

Trismegistus4

Worried Wellologist
15+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician

Yeah, I heard Jonathan Swift wanted to eat Irish babies too.

Droopy Snoopy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2006
The Alamo
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]

Am I the only one who mail-ordered a Korean girl and dissected her in my basement? Come on people this guy really needs our help! Stop making fun!

Biscuit799

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2004
Status (Visible)

Absolutely! And be sure to memorize the Netter images while you're at it!

About the Ads

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Am I the only one who mail-ordered a Korean girl and dissected her in my basement?

I tried that but the instruction booklet that came with her was only in Korean, so I sent her back. Also do you know what we we're supposed to do with that Ikea-like wrench key? Damn hobbyist kits.

Tired

Fading away
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2006
I tried that but the instruction booklet that came with her was only in Korean, so I sent her back. Also do you know what we we're supposed to do with that Ikea-like wrench key? Damn hobbyist kits.

It's for the hidden volume-control knob.

On a side note, if my wife ever decides to check out this site, I didn't mean that, I'm sorry, and I love you. Would you like me to buy you something?

Disinence2

Emergency Medicine
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician

Patient interaction is going to be fun for you isn't it?

DocYuki

The Gamer Student
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 28, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Guys (and gals)...

There is only one solution!

Instead of grave-robbing before your first year, just read this book, STIFF: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers.

It's hilarious, educational, and really brings to light some topics you'd never know about otherwise, both medical and nonmedical. All involving cadavers, of course. Give it a shot!

ijcMD

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 29, 2006
New York
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
I've always been against pre-allo kids asking questions in the allo forum, until I realize the best comic relief I have in my hectic life are these tools asking questions. I am going to go under the impression that the poster was trying to be funny.

Trismegistus4

Worried Wellologist
15+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I've always been against pre-allo kids asking questions in the allo forum, until I realize the best comic relief I have in my hectic life are these tools asking questions. I am going to go under the impression that the poster was trying to be funny.

I hate to ruin the humorous mood by breaking "character," but yes, it was suppose to be a parody of people who ask whether they should study biochemistry or something on their own the summer before starting med school. I can't believe anyone thought it was the slightest bit possible that I was being serious.

Sean2tall

Pathology Resident
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2003
Indianapolis
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I can't believe anyone thought it was the slightest bit possible that I was being serious.

Agreed. The only explanation I can think of is that the continued siege of ridiculous, yet real, questions has built up a huge, unreasonable tolerance for insane pre-med questions.

Either that or people have had traumatic injuries to the sarcasm part of the brain.

lsumedgirl

Livin' the dream!
10+ Year Member
May 13, 2006
Louisiana
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student

I'm gonna sincerely hope it's sarcasm. I know I'm not spending MY last summer of freedom trying to find a spare corpse and dissecting it. I'm enjoying my last bit of fun! :cool:

Trismegistus4

Worried Wellologist
15+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Agreed. The only explanation I can think of is that the continued siege of ridiculous, yet real, questions has built up a huge, unreasonable tolerance for insane pre-med questions.

Either that or people have had traumatic injuries to the sarcasm part of the brain.

Seriousy; I even included a question about mobsters just to make it obvious!

About the Ads

indo

Feed me a stray cat
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2002
www.mcw.edu
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Should I dissect a cadaver the summer before starting med school?

Yes, if you want to be the annoying person in the group.

Brown429

10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student

you sick bastard....

bubabugster

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Don't be such a little wimp. "Oh, boo-hoo, I won't be able to dissect a cadaver before med school because I can't find a dead body." True med students dissect their own arm when they can't find a cadaver. (I mean, you have 2, right?) Think about it.

HAHAHA:laugh:

Trismegistus4

Worried Wellologist
15+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician

Wouldn't that violate those standards med schools always make you agree to? You know, the ones about being able to observe, communicate, and perform certain physical tasks, with a disclaimer that exceptions can be made for some disabilities? I mean, with only 1 arm, not much chance I'm going to match into surgery.

Plus, I'd really like to dissect the entire body to learn as much as I can, and I can't think of a good way to dissect my own GI tract, head, etc.

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Plus, I'd really like to dissect the entire body to learn as much as I can, and I can't think of a good way to dissect my own GI tract, head, etc.

People can live without one kidney, one lung, the spleen, a good portion of the liver, the gall bladder, and much of the colon. It's not everything, but should give you enough of a jump on your classmates.

Biscuit799

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2004
Status (Visible)
People can live without one kidney, one lung, the spleen, a good portion of the liver, the gall bladder, and much of the colon. It's not everything, but should give you enough of a jump on your classmates.

And you don't really need your eyes, or your ears, arms, legs, GUT, or frontal lobe to live. A real gunner would get a 4.0 anyway, and would make it impossible for a program to not take him! I guess it just depends on how dedicated you really want to be...

Anastasis

caffeinated for safety
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2005
TX
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
You mean you haven't done this yet?

I dissected a cadaver at 8 just to get a head start on this. Geez - you're screwed.

smq123

John William Waterhouse
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Wouldn't that violate those standards med schools always make you agree to? You know, the ones about being able to observe, communicate, and perform certain physical tasks, with a disclaimer that exceptions can be made for some disabilities? I mean, with only 1 arm, not much chance I'm going to match into surgery.

If it's something that you think that you'll need later (like an arm or part of your cheek), just suture it back up together when you're all done. That way you kill 2 birds with 1 stone: you'll be ready for anatomy AND you'll be a superstar on your 3rd year surgical rotations! I mean, they want us to be "problem-solvers," right?

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.