Should I dissect a cadaver the summer before starting med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trismegistus4

Credential Non-Respecter
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, everyone. I have been accepted to med school to start this July/August. I know everyone says to just travel, take time off, or read non-medical stuff, but I was wondering if it would help to dissect a cadaver on my own before schools starts. I don't want to sound like a gunner, I just want to make sure I'm prepared to do as well as I can. Is this a good idea? Also, where can I get a cadaver? I don't have any family members or friends who are on their deathbeds. Should I try calling local mob members and seeing if they're planning on offing anyone soon?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd recommend tailing hearses, that way you're more likely to find one embalmed...if that doesn't work, I hear that there are plenty of unclaimed bodies that you might be able to get for a bargain.

Hi, everyone. I have been accepted to med school to start this July/August. I know everyone says to just travel, take time off, or read non-medical stuff, but I was wondering if it would help to dissect a cadaver on my own before schools starts. I don't want to sound like a gunner, I just want to make sure I'm prepared to do as well as I can. Is this a good idea? Also, where can I get a cadaver? I don't have any family members or friends who are on their deathbeds. Should I try calling local mob members and seeing if they're planning on offing anyone soon?

In the olden days they used to dig up fresh graves for the cadavers -- that might work for you. Although without formaldehyde you may have to contend with maggots. But it's a waste of time to do a dissection without the accompanying instruction -- you won't know what's what. So I say go travel.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd recommend tailing hearses, that way you're more likely to find one embalmed...if that doesn't work, I hear that there are plenty of unclaimed bodies that you might be able to get for a bargain.

If that doesn't work, there's always the do-it-yourself method of cadaver acquisition. Nobody will ever notice if that upstairs neighbor of yours mysteriously goes missing.

If that doesn't work, there's always the do-it-yourself method of cadaver acquisition. Nobody will ever notice if that upstairs neighbor of yours mysteriously goes missing.

Disposal might be an issue, however. Do you have a house with a dirt-covered crawl space? It's wise to think ahead to all aspects of the experience before proceding.

I don't know that a fresh specimen is comparable to a preserved cadaver. You can't ID body parts correctly unless you can do it among the fumes of noxious chemicals.

NO!!!!!!

just one word for you....TROLL

Don't be such a little wimp. "Oh, boo-hoo, I won't be able to dissect a cadaver before med school because I can't find a dead body." True med students dissect their own arm when they can't find a cadaver. (I mean, you have 2, right?) Think about it.

I'd go ahead and obtain a body now so that when anatomy lab starts you can just whip your cadaver out and say "No thanks, I brought my own." Trust me everyone will be impressed.

Members don't see this ad :)

watch a bunch of law and order and CSI and you should be all set ;)

I'd go ahead and obtain a body now so that when anatomy lab starts you can just whip your cadaver out and say "No thanks, I brought my own." Trust me everyone will be impressed.

Just leave it in your apt. Makes it easier to study that way, you needn't go back to school just to brush up on some anatomy.

Just when I thought pre-meds mignt not be the biggest bunch of tools there ever was (I just like everyone in med school was sadly one of them a few years ago) this little morsel of absurdity pops up. How has this thread been taken even remotely seriously? I can't tell if the OP is being serious or sarcastic so I just want to cover my bases.

How much do you love your mother?

Just when I thought pre-meds mignt not be the biggest bunch of tools there ever was (I just like everyone in med school was sadly one of them a few years ago) this little morsel of absurdity pops up. How has this thread been taken even remotely seriously? I can't tell if the OP is being serious or sarcastic so I just want to cover my bases.

You need serious help.

Yeah, I heard Jonathan Swift wanted to eat Irish babies too.

Am I the only one who mail-ordered a Korean girl and dissected her in my basement? Come on people this guy really needs our help! Stop making fun!

Absolutely! And be sure to memorize the Netter images while you're at it!

Am I the only one who mail-ordered a Korean girl and dissected her in my basement?

I tried that but the instruction booklet that came with her was only in Korean, so I sent her back. Also do you know what we we're supposed to do with that Ikea-like wrench key? Damn hobbyist kits.

I tried that but the instruction booklet that came with her was only in Korean, so I sent her back. Also do you know what we we're supposed to do with that Ikea-like wrench key? Damn hobbyist kits.

It's for the hidden volume-control knob.

On a side note, if my wife ever decides to check out this site, I didn't mean that, I'm sorry, and I love you. Would you like me to buy you something?

Patient interaction is going to be fun for you isn't it?

Patient interaction is going to be fun for you isn't it?

Sure is. As you can no doubt tell, my perception skills are phenomenal. I'm thinker than you smart I am.

Guys (and gals)...

There is only one solution!

Instead of grave-robbing before your first year, just read this book, STIFF: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers.

It's hilarious, educational, and really brings to light some topics you'd never know about otherwise, both medical and nonmedical. All involving cadavers, of course. Give it a shot!

I've always been against pre-allo kids asking questions in the allo forum, until I realize the best comic relief I have in my hectic life are these tools asking questions. I am going to go under the impression that the poster was trying to be funny.

I've always been against pre-allo kids asking questions in the allo forum, until I realize the best comic relief I have in my hectic life are these tools asking questions. I am going to go under the impression that the poster was trying to be funny.

I hate to ruin the humorous mood by breaking "character," but yes, it was suppose to be a parody of people who ask whether they should study biochemistry or something on their own the summer before starting med school. I can't believe anyone thought it was the slightest bit possible that I was being serious.

I can't believe anyone thought it was the slightest bit possible that I was being serious.

Agreed. The only explanation I can think of is that the continued siege of ridiculous, yet real, questions has built up a huge, unreasonable tolerance for insane pre-med questions.

Either that or people have had traumatic injuries to the sarcasm part of the brain.

I'm gonna sincerely hope it's sarcasm. I know I'm not spending MY last summer of freedom trying to find a spare corpse and dissecting it. I'm enjoying my last bit of fun! :cool:

Agreed. The only explanation I can think of is that the continued siege of ridiculous, yet real, questions has built up a huge, unreasonable tolerance for insane pre-med questions.

Either that or people have had traumatic injuries to the sarcasm part of the brain.

Seriousy; I even included a question about mobsters just to make it obvious!

Should I dissect a cadaver the summer before starting med school?

Yes, if you want to be the annoying person in the group.

you sick bastard....

Don't be such a little wimp. "Oh, boo-hoo, I won't be able to dissect a cadaver before med school because I can't find a dead body." True med students dissect their own arm when they can't find a cadaver. (I mean, you have 2, right?) Think about it.

HAHAHA:laugh:

Wouldn't that violate those standards med schools always make you agree to? You know, the ones about being able to observe, communicate, and perform certain physical tasks, with a disclaimer that exceptions can be made for some disabilities? I mean, with only 1 arm, not much chance I'm going to match into surgery.

Plus, I'd really like to dissect the entire body to learn as much as I can, and I can't think of a good way to dissect my own GI tract, head, etc.

I lol'd IRL ... you're kidding right?

Plus, I'd really like to dissect the entire body to learn as much as I can, and I can't think of a good way to dissect my own GI tract, head, etc.

People can live without one kidney, one lung, the spleen, a good portion of the liver, the gall bladder, and much of the colon. It's not everything, but should give you enough of a jump on your classmates.

People can live without one kidney, one lung, the spleen, a good portion of the liver, the gall bladder, and much of the colon. It's not everything, but should give you enough of a jump on your classmates.

And you don't really need your eyes, or your ears, arms, legs, GUT, or frontal lobe to live. A real gunner would get a 4.0 anyway, and would make it impossible for a program to not take him! I guess it just depends on how dedicated you really want to be...

You mean you haven't done this yet?

I dissected a cadaver at 8 just to get a head start on this. Geez - you're screwed.

Wouldn't that violate those standards med schools always make you agree to? You know, the ones about being able to observe, communicate, and perform certain physical tasks, with a disclaimer that exceptions can be made for some disabilities? I mean, with only 1 arm, not much chance I'm going to match into surgery.

If it's something that you think that you'll need later (like an arm or part of your cheek), just suture it back up together when you're all done. That way you kill 2 birds with 1 stone: you'll be ready for anatomy AND you'll be a superstar on your 3rd year surgical rotations! I mean, they want us to be "problem-solvers," right?