Should I divulge?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sushichopstickz

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was written up in college (sophomore) for minor possession of alcohol. Although it was a small incidence, I do have a short record within the school's student affairs office. I asked the workers there multiple times, in regards to whether I should disclose this information. The workers repeatedly commented that they only report expulsions and academic dishonesty. So I then I asked what happens if a medical school asks if I have a file on record and the workers said they would follow protocol and report my name as having no file because it does not qualify as an expulsion or academic dishonesty. This was comforting...sorta. However, I was wondering if a school did a background check through a external agency, would they be able to find this information? I know the severity of this incident is not immense, but I just don't want to explain myself in written form. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

i was in a sort of similar situation, and i just asked my pre-med advisor whether i should report it or not. she said i should not, and thats what i'm going with. i figure if for some reason someone does find out about it somehow, as long as i have the backing of the pre med advisor in that i wasn't trying to blatantly hide it i should be ok

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. I did not disclose it on my AMCAS and will not mention it on my secondaries. I just didn't want to disclose something that med schools will not see.

On a side note, what does the AMCAS background check look for? Does it go into medical records or does it just stay strictly on criminal offenses etc.?

I don't think any external agency can find this since it's all within the school. Considering the people in charge said it's standard protocol to not say anything to med schools regarding minor infractions, then I'd say there's no point in telling any schools about it.

Thanks. I did not disclose it on my AMCAS and will not mention it on my secondaries. I just didn't want to disclose something that med schools will not see.

On a side note, what does the AMCAS background check look for? Does it go into medical records or does it just stay strictly on criminal offenses etc.?

I don't think it's legal to go into medical records (HIPAA) nor can I imagine any reason why schools would do this. The closest thing they have in this area would be the technical standards that you have to agree to.
I'm pretty sure they only look for criminal offenses.