Quantcast

Medical Should I do a DIY or formal post bacc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN,

Recent college grad student here. I plan on attending medical school in the near future but unfortunately my undergrad grades are low compared to the average to be even considered to get an interview for medical school. cGPA 2.47 and sGPA of about 1.7

I know that it's super low, I've struggled significantly with my science classes during undergrad along with personal and mental health issues along the way. That and along with poor study/time management skills as well as the lack of motivation during the time. I've done a majority of the pre reqs for medical school, but with subpar grades (barely a C) and some that I repeated but not getting the results that I wanted the second time. I ended up switching my major to BA and eventually finishing my last quarter of undergrad really strong and graduating.

I'm taking two year gap year (more if needed) to improve both my science and cumulative GPA. I wanted to apply to a formal post bacc school but my GPA doesn't meet the school's minimum so I guess I'd have to stick doing a DIY post bacc. If you could give me any tips on how to start a DIY post bacc, that'll be great. I mean I know it's retaking science classes that I did poorly on to show an upward trend but if there's anything else that I need to know, I appreciate it! Here are some questions that I have in mind:
  • Should I apply to a formal post bacc? (I know grades are bad but is it worth trying and would they even consider me?)
  • How do I even start a DIY post bacc, should I retake all the life science pre reqs or just the ones I got a really bad grade on?
  • What else can I do to stand out as an applicant besides great GPA?
  • What are the best ways to get clinical experience? (I've been applying to medical receptionist jobs because I am also in need of a full time job to help my family and to save up for MCAT/med school apps)
I know that on paper, it doesn't seem like I'm qualified at all to be a medical student or even physician but I know deep in my heart this is something that I really want to do. During this year I've been able to fully self reflect my poor academic habits in college and work little by little to improve that and also the person that I am. It's a learning experience and there's still so much more to learn, but as long as I have an open mind and heart I think that I'll be okay.

Thank you so much!
First off, get your mental health issues under control.

A formal post-bac program is for career changers. If you're taken the pre-reqs, which it sounds like you have, there' no need for a formal program and you can do this DIY.

Read this:
To stand out as an applicant, get more than the usual hours of clinical exposure and/or non-clinical volunteering. The receptionist job can fulfill the former.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is going to take you a LOT of grade repair (as you already know). You can do a DIY post-bac but are gonna most likely need at least two full years of courses and stellar grades. On top of this, a stellar MCAT is also going to be needed and with the grades you got in your prereqs, this is gonna be an up hill battle. I am pulling for you, but you need to know upfront it's going to be tough and most likely going to be a 2-3 year track before you are even able to apply.

For ECs, you need clinical exposure. Scribing is great because it's clinical experience and shadowing bundled into one, plus if it's paid you get some cash. You also need non-clinical volunteering. This can be at soup kitchens, etc...basically working with people who are less fortunate than you.

Status
Not open for further replies.