Medical Should I do a fifth undergrad year, should I do a Master's, or should I do something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a senior in college. I really want to get into a SUNY medical school (b/c it's cheaper). Before medical school, I want to take several gap years where I gain life and research experience. Could you please look at this flow chart I made and give me advice on the best pathway? Could you give me an answer based on if money is not a concern and if money is a concern? My family's financial situation is really up in the air right now. Thank you!!

Blank diagram.jpg
You GPA will make it difficult to be competitive for medical school, especially in the way of MD acceptances. Perhaps some DO schools will look at it but if you really, really want to be a physician then you'll need to do what you can to beef up your scores. One thing you are forgetting here beyond the americorp and masters is finding time to study for the MCAT which for most people is the biggest barrier to applying as it is a very, very difficult test though can do well with appropriate preparation.

A masters program is looked at differently than an SMP or post-bacc in the way of admissions criteria.

It's really up to you, if you feel that you aren't committed to medical school then why waste another year? In fact why do the masters unless otherwise thinking you want to work in another sector like biotech?

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for the honest advice! Would you mind replying to my edited post? Sorry- I added a flow chart last minute.
Are you guaranteed a spot at the NIH? Or will you be applying to it and hoping you get it?

Is the masters from stony brook an SMP affiliated with the medical school? Is there any contractual agreement to gain entrance into their medical school if you perform well enough?

TBH, if you want to go to medical school you need to bump the GPA a little bit more. However you do that is up to you and there's not "wrong way" if doing say. But if you can get into an SMP where you can show the you have grown and can perform well by way of getting A's in harder science courses along with doing well on the MCAT, that might be the way to go.

If you get into the NIH research program it will be great, those are hard to get. BUT again you'll sacrifice a weaker GPA for research experience.

t's the NIH Postbacc research training program. Two of my current professors tell me I'd have a decent shot?

And I don't think the Master's from Stony Brook is an SMP- it's not listed in the AAMC database as one and there's no contractual agreement.

Ah... you've given me a lot to think about- thank you for the advice!
I wish it was simple decision for you. But unfortunately with how competitive the process is numbers are very important at getting your application through the door and get looked at.

What are the other pieces of your app? Clinical and non-clinical volunteering hours?

As stated above, you need to probably boost that GPA for MD. IMO, I think a year of DIY post-bac courses paired with a strong MCAT would help you be competitive for MD. I don't think you should or need to do another year of undergrad as this is just another expense and you can show you can handle rigor with a year of post-bac.

Don't do the masters if you wanna go to medical school. The GPA is not looked at the same as an SMP or post-bac so it won't help your GPA which is your problem area.

Status
Not open for further replies.