Dextrose5%

2+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2015
Status
Pharmacy Student
Hello Everyone,

First of all thank you for acknowledging my post. I am currently doing a PGY1 and I HATE IT! But, I am willing to suck it up and make the best of it because it offers me a better future. However, I do not know if I should pursue a PGY2.

Quick history:
I graduated Pharmacy school and started residency at 22 years old. My preceptors tell me that I am too young for a residency. Which I do not think is true, but at the same time I do believe that I have some growing to do. My residency is ambulatory care psych focus. My career goal was to become a board certified psych pharmacist. But as I progress in the residency, I believe that maybe I should take some time off and work on adjusting to adulthood before committing to a PGY2. I am also worried about narrowing my job field by doing a PGY2 or landing the same position I would have gotten with only a PGY1.

Pros of not doing a PGY2:
Getting a break (I'm burnt out)
Adjusting to adulthood/ maturing
Make money

Cons:
Narrowing my chances of Matching
Pay cut if I go back
Possibility of not going back

I've always been a goal oriented person and not knowing my next goal is driving me crazy. Any advice would help.

Thank you

gwarm01

10+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
I just did a search on indeed for psychiatric pharmacist and there wasn't a whole lot out there. Ask yourself how badly you want this type of job, how far away and in what conditions you are willing to work to get the job, and do you really need a PGY2 to achieve your goals? Could you get the same job with your PGY1? It's a very personal decision so you'll have to think about your own circumstances.

TheBlaah

7+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2010
Status
Pharmacist
Damn you're young.

Anyway, I agree with gwarm01. There's quite frankly not a lot of psychiatric pharmacist positions out there. You're going to have to be willing to move anywhere in order to get a clinical psychiatric job that requires a PGY2.

Farcus

10+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2007
My Bed
Status
Pharmacist
probably nor worth it in psych unless you really like it, job outlook not good, and after pgy1 and working its hard to go back to do another year. may be consider getting MS in psychology for added qualification instead of PGY2? this way you'll have a permanent degree in that field and at least a couple letter above other pharmacist who are just bcps or bccp and financially the most reasonable, online MS in psychology shouldn't be too expensive though I never looked, I looked in MPH and MBA and there are online program fro 15-20k, which is a lot less and technically permanent degree that you'll keep with you forever

Reactions: Dextrose5%