Should I do a post-bacc AND a masters? (sub 3.0 overall GPA and sub 2.5 science gpa)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thisismyacct

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone I'm currently a senior looking for some advice on what to do after graduation. I made a lot of mistakes over my 4 years at college, and now I need to figure out what to do after graduation. My grades are low because I didn't have my head in the right place, but I've been better the past 3/4 semesters.

These are my science grades:

Bio 1 and lab= B-, C+
Gen chem 1 and lab (first try)= D, C-. Second try= B-, F (long story)
Bio 2= B (combined lecture and lab)
Gen chem 2 and lab= D, B-
200s level chem elective= B
200 levels chem elective 2= B+
Microbiology= D
orgo 1 and lab (first try)= D+, B-. Second try= A
orgo 2 and lab= B-, B-
200s level bio elective= A-
biology seminar= A
cell bio and lab= C-, C-

if I did the math correctly, my sGPA should be a 2.34. this semester I'm taking a 400 level bio class. I made the mistake of changing my major to a non-science major, and I really regret it. after my fall semester of jr year I decided to give up when I shouldn't have. Then I realized after "opening my eyes" that dentistry is really the way for me to go. Shadowing cemented this.

So what should I do after graduation? should I do a post-bacc at my (expensive) alma mater? I still have to take physics. I'm also concerned that a SMP won't accept me with such a low science gpa. my overall should be either at or very very very slightly below a 3.0 by graduation. Should I go for a second BS? I think if I stay another 1.5 years, I could get a degree in bio

or should I apply straight to a SMP then take physics after I finish the SMP? my only concern with that idea is that 1. most programs want all the pre-reqs done or 2. want a DAT score before applying (although some will accept a GRE).

my volunteering hours are fine. I only have a few shadowing hours (it will increase). good work experience. what do you guys and girls recommend I do?

Members don't see this ad.

Based on my hours and hours of research (I was in the same exact dilemma as you a few months ago), the “general” consensus seems to be that you should do a Master’s if your GPA is sub-3.0. Reason being that it’s going to take a lot of credits of straight A’s to off set the existing undergrad GPA. I may be completely off but I think the 1-year SMPs have higher GPA requirements (e.g., 3.2+ GPA, 20+ DAT) unlike other Master’s programs, but even with those stats I highly don’t recommend SMPs (I’m currently in one).

Based on my hours and hours of research (I was in the same exact dilemma as you a few months ago), the “general” consensus seems to be that you should do a Master’s if your GPA is sub-3.0. Reason being that it’s going to take a lot of credits of straight A’s to off set the existing undergrad GPA. I may be completely off but I think the 1-year SMPs have higher GPA requirements (e.g., 3.2+ GPA, 20+ DAT) unlike other Master’s programs, but even with those stats I highly don’t recommend SMPs (I’m currently in one).

thanks for the reply. just a couple more questions.

1) can you share which SMP you're in? you can PM me if that would make you more comfortable.
2) will a SMP accept me without completing physics?

Members don't see this ad :)
1) SMP definitely
2) Need the DAT I believe for SMP entry
3) Grades do not replace when AADSAS calculates your GPA. Meaning a D and an A(retake) equates to a 2.5 (C+/B-)

1) SMP definitely
2) Need the DAT I believe for SMP entry
3) Grades do not replace when AADSAS calculates your GPA. Meaning a D and an A(retake) equates to a 2.5 (C+/B-)

Unfortunately I do know the grades don't get replaced:(. By any chance did you happen to attend a SMP?