Should I do a post bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BaLeavaMD

Praise is what I do!!!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I need a little advice. Here are my stats:

26 y/o African American Female
Masters in Public Health: 3.85 GPA :)
Undergrad Overall: 3.15 :oops:
BCPM: 2.65 :eek: :(
All others GPA: 3.5
MCAT: low 20s :eek: :eek:
Lots of great experience, research assistant, etc.

My question is, should I do a 1 year post bacc science program to boost my gpa? I got a masters partly for this reason, but it's not exactly Biology, Chem, Math, or Physics stuff. I'm getting older and want to go ahead and go to school, but I want to be prepared. I took Kaplan, but I think I struggled on the MCATbecause I haven't taken some of the sciences in 6-8 years. Should I take the MCAT now or just wait and do the program. I still have MUCH faith, just asking a couple of opinions!! Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I think there lies your problem...that your science classes the pre-reqs are old. Did you do well in them? meaning did you get A's or B's? if the answer is yes then I would focus on taking some other upper level bio/chem undergrad classes that will help for the mcat like cell and molec, physiology, genetics...etc. I would not take the MCAT again this August if you KNOW that your main problem is the old pre-reqs.

If you're planning to apply this year, you should.

You can also apply to post-bacc programs and MS programs simultaneously. That way you don't lose a year waiting, not getting in and still having to do a post-bacc program. Do you know what I mean?

Apply because you never know though. You might get an acceptance. Be sure to explain your circumstances.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would wait a year and retake biochemistry and physiology. They really help on the mcat.

You should definitely apply to a post bacc program. You could also apply to a few medical schools, just be very selective with the schools that you apply to. Your statistics are very similiar to mine and I did not do a post bacc program. Though I did get several interviews, one of the major concerns was my undergraduate science grades.

Though your graduate school grades are great :thumbup: , unless you have a concentration in Biological Sciences they aren't going to count for much :thumbdown: . Public Health is concidered a "soft" science and grades in these classes are not comparable to the prereqs for medical school.

That being said good luck with your application process and congratulations on your MPH.

efex101 said:
I think there lies your problem...that your science classes the pre-reqs are old. Did you do well in them? meaning did you get A's or B's? if the answer is yes then I would focus on taking some other upper level bio/chem undergrad classes that will help for the mcat like cell and molec, physiology, genetics...etc. I would not take the MCAT again this August if you KNOW that your main problem is the old pre-reqs.

I would enroll in the courses suggested by Efex 101 AND retake the MCAT ONLY if you can focus full-time on just learning the material for the test between now and August 14th. As a matter of fact, also I'm considering taking some courses in Immunology, Histology,and Physiology in Fall 2004/Spring 2005 at my top choice school to keep my study skills up and give me a "heads up" on the courses in med school.

I would also contact the school's on your list BEFORE submitting your application.

rhlmdmph2b said:
Hi all! I need a little advice. Here are my stats:

26 y/o African American Female
Masters in Public Health: 3.85 GPA :)
Undergrad Overall: 3.15 :oops:
BCPM: 2.65 :eek: :(
All others GPA: 3.5
MCAT: low 20s :eek: :eek:
Lots of great experience, research assistant, etc.

My question is, should I do a 1 year post bacc science program to boost my gpa? I got a masters partly for this reason, but it's not exactly Biology, Chem, Math, or Physics stuff. I'm getting older and want to go ahead and go to school, but I want to be prepared. I took Kaplan, but I think I struggled on the MCATbecause I haven't taken some of the sciences in 6-8 years. Should I take the MCAT now or just wait and do the program. I still have MUCH faith, just asking a couple of opinions!! Thanks

Contact the schools that you are interested in...some medical schools require you to retake old pre reqs (anything over 5 years old).