Should I do a post bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nycpremed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in a dilemma. I want to get into medical school, but my grades are HORRIBLE. I've transferred from a two year school and havent taken science courses yet. I figured it would just be best to finish my major requirements (sociology) and then apply for a post bacc after I get my degree. I have no interest in courses other than science and social science courses and just figured it would be better this way. However,I spoke with the director of the premed program at my school, and she said I should complete the premed prereqs while in undergrad and try my best to pull my grades up while doing so. She also said it would be ideal for me to quit my 30 hour a week gob and try focusing solely on my studies since it seems to be hindering me from passing my classes but I can't right now because of my family's financial issues. What do you think. Sorry about the long thread btw lol:)

Members don't see this ad.

If you can finish your degree in sociology with the best grades possible while working, then that would be fine IF once you graduate you can quit the job or reduce hours and work on the post-bacc pre-med classes and of course pre-med extracurriculars. This might be better if your financial situation gets better in the future.

Taking pre-med pre-reqs while in undergraduate would be a way to speed up the process. Either way, you will have to do the pre-reqs somewhere. Either now, at your current institution, or later, through a formal post-bacc. However, many formal post-baccs are for those underrepresented in medicine, so make sure if you choose this route you have a program in mind that you think you could be accepted to.

Basically, the decision must be based on the probability for the highest chances of success. You don't want to start your pre-reqs if you feel you can't succeed in them because of extenuating circumstances. That would kill your science GPA. Think about when you have the time to devote to the pre-med route. It's a long haul.

Members don't see this ad :)
med schools will look at your entire GPA, not just the grades you get in the prerequisites. Every grade you earn that's a C or below requires redemption. The time it takes to fix a low GPA will take longer and longer as you delay the need to start earning excellent grades. Why not take a step back after this semester and concentrate on helping your family. Then return to school when you can put all your concentration into your academics? If you are doing poorly in any class right now, you might consider dropping it so as not be be further bogged down. There's no rush to get to med school. Folks in their 30s, 40s, and beyond are applying and getting accepted.

Well, what is your GPA?

My gpa is pretty low and is under 2.2. I also appreciate everyone's feedback so far. As far as post bacc programs catering to the underrepresented, I am an URM so I guess my chances at getting in might be ok. Its just that I'm trying to place myself in the position of the adcoms. I want to be able to prove to them that I am capable of handling med school material but with these grades I have absolutely no chance whatsoever. I just want to be able to make the right decision that will benefit me in the long run. Oh and sorry about the typo. It should be job not gob in the first post lol

Under a 2.2? Geez

You'll need to 2-3 yrs of solid straight A work to even be competitive for an SMP.

Under a 2.2? Geez

You'll need to 2-3 yrs of solid straight A work to even be competitive for an SMP.

I think what I might do is just stay in school for an additional 3 years and try to get these grades up as high as I can. I know adcoms would never take me seriously and thats why I'm gonna try my hardest to offset my record. It will be hard but it can be done.

It will be hard and I wish you luck.

Very very very very few people recover from sub 2.2

Just take a second bachelor's, do well in it, show SMP program directors that you have what it take. Also, get involved w/ clinicals/volunteering during this time.

The SMP is a desperate gambit. If you fail there, you fail forever.

What is the cut off gpa for most post bacc programs?

SMPs is 3.0

And you'll have to do a DIY program at your local state school or apply for a 2nd bachelors degree.

You won't get into any of the formal post bacs with your GPA

SMPs is 3.0

And you'll have to do a DIY program at your local state school or apply for a 2nd bachelors degree.

You won't get into any of the formal post bacs with your GPA

Umm, I'm completely aware of that and I never said that I intended to apply to one, I was just asking a general question about post bacc programs and what the gpa cut offs were.

Well umm you won't get into any post-bacs, so whats the point of discussing the fact that you are 0.8 below most of their cutoffs?

We've told you the route you need to go, so start looking at enrolling at your local 4-yr state school and/or enrolling to pursue a 2nd bachelors

Well umm you won't get into any post-bacs, so whats the point of discussing the fact that you are 0.8 below most of their cutoffs?

We've told you the route you need to go, so start looking at enrolling at your local 4-yr state school and/or enrolling to pursue a 2nd bachelors

What are you talking about? I'm already enrolled in a 4 year school as a freshman. Did you not read my first post?

It says nothing about you being a freshman - it says you transferred from a 2yr school...which for most folks mean they finished the AA and are now a junior at a 4yr school...

I did read it, maybe you didnt write it the way you intended to.

It says nothing about you being a freshman - it says you transferred from a 2yr school...which for most folks mean they finished the AA and are now a junior at a 4yr school...

I did read it, maybe you didnt write it the way you intended to.
I made the same error in interpretation. When one has "horrible grades" one is generally not allowed to transfer to another school after one semester.

If that 2.2 GPA represents only one semester of college, you're in a much better place. With straight As from now on, after your second semester (end of freshman year) your GPA will be at 3.1. A year from now, 3.4. And at the end of junior year, when most apply to med school, it could be a very competitive 3.7. You won't need a postbac if you can continue to perform like this.

If he only has a 2.2 from 1 semester then he'll be fine. He needs to just start getting good grades and fast.

I made the same error in interpretation. When one has "horrible grades" one is generally not allowed to transfer to another school after one semester.

If that 2.2 GPA represents only one semester of college, you're in a much better place. With straight As from now on, after your second semester (end of freshman year) your GPA will be at 3.1. A year from now, 3.4. And at the end of junior year, when most apply to med school, it could be a very competitive 3.7. You won't need a postbac if you can continue to perform like this.

Nobody should count on straight A's...

Glad I wasn't the only who misunderstood this. And you are right on the transferring thing, but I just assumed somehow it had gone through.

have you considered DO, you can do grade replacement?

but first try to raise your GPA as high as possible